WineXpert Kit Goof-Ups or Malfunctions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I have made quite a few kits now and was wondering what some of your goof-ups might have been if any.

I have 2 kits which didn't come out "perfect" My first kit (a VR Italian Pinot Grigio) I sucked up some sediment when bottling and one of my last kits (a VR Bourgeron Rouge)has little white "specks" in it.

I don't know what it could be unless it was the 1/4 tsp of sulfite I added and it didn't dissolve correct, or residue from the sanitizer I used to clean the bottles or more to what I am leaning to, a faulty filter pad in my Mini-Jet. It almost resembles dust flecks floating in it.Just a few but noticeable. I am wondering if itwasn't from the filter pad.The wine tastes great and has no other issues.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Or other issues to share for us to learn from?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

My Pinot Grigio (second kit) has white specs also. Don't know why. Didn't
happen with any of the other wines.

I'm running a 5.5 gallon Barolo kit at the moment. When I took it out of the
box it was a 6-gallon but I missed the fermenter when puuting the juice in
smiley9.gif

A few nights ago I cleaned my hydrometer and put it bak in the tube, only to
find that there was no bottom in the tube. It went right through and
smashed on the tile floor.
smiley7.gif

My first two kits have a slight gas problem. They're not popping their corks, but there are small white bubbles in my glass when you pour and you can taste it. It goes away if I let it sit a few minutes. I hate this because I gave away a LOT of wine from my first two kits. Real proud of myself. Now I have to go back and tell everyone to let their wine breath a bit before drinking. It's a little embarrassing. Edited by: Vaughn

Me too.
Everyone is very kind though. They all say they cannot believe the quality.
I have a problem with a slight SO2 smell when a bottle is first opened. Goes
away in 5-10 minutes. Doesn't impact taste.Edited by: peterCooper

Well, had another oddity. I opened up my 4th bottle from the kit that has the white specks in it. This bottle does not have this. The first 3 did but not this one. Really weird.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back