Other Kit for Red blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
My girlfriend really likes "Red Blends". Two of her favorites are Middle Sister "Rebel Red" and Menage a Trois California Red. I really dont have the expertise to make three seperate kits, blend them, and end up with something balanced. Does anyone make a kit that is similar to either of these? Is there an unblended Red variety the has some similarities?

Don't know these wines, and probably can't get them in Ontario Canada. According to their web-sites, Rebel Red is "38% Zinfandel, 34% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Syrah, 2% mixed red varietals", and the California Red is Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot.

Sorry but can't think off-hand of any Zin-Cab-Merlot blends to recommend.

Steve

Great question. I am currently making 5 white kits, but after that want to make a zinfandel, merlot, and hopefully a red blend. Hopefully you get some recommendations.

Looks like both of these are heavy on the red zinfandel, with a decent amount of cabernet sauvignon, and much much smaller amounts of other grapes, syrah, etc.

It could be that she likes zinfandel since it is the major component. If that's the case there are a lot of good zinfandel kits out there. Go get a bottle of straight red zinfandel and see if she likes it as well.

After that, I'm sure the cabernet makes a significant addition to these wines as far as taste, but I don't see any kits out there with a zinfandel/cabernet cabernet blend. So you could make a zinfandel kit and a cabernet kit and mix them, as simple as racking both at the same time and mixing it half/half or 60/40 even.

I agree with TonyP. Super Tuscan is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese and makes an excellent wine. Rosso Fortissimo is another choice for a blend of big reds. You will find kits of both of these blends in any good supplier's line.

The Super Tuscan is a very nice blend; about as good as it gets. It's taste profile is very different from a heavily Zinfandel based wine, though.

Apothic Red, Pillar Box, and Posh are all Zin based blends that are very popular.
I would start studying different blends and maybe try making, then blending your own; it could very fun and very rewarding, if you have the patience.

Latest posts

Back