Vineco Kenridge Classic Cab/CabShiraz/Shiraz some recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I am planning my second batch of wine and I have narrowed it down to the Kenridge Classic Cabernet/Cab shiraz/ or shiraz. The only wine I have ever made is a merlot and I honestly haven't even tasted it yet as I will be bottling it this tuesday. I am also very new to wine drinking in general and I tasted a Australian Hardys CabernetSov/shiraz and really loved it. If anyone has made the above kits I would be grateful to know your thoughts on them. Also the Cheeky Monkey Cab or Shiraz as they are available from the same store for about the same price and they are both 10L kits.

Thank you

Ed

If your merlot that you made is the KR Classic Merlot I think you're going to be pleased. I would classify it is an "early-drinker". I had a bottle of that which was about 1 year old and I thought it was a fantastic wine for the price. I've only got one left, so I'd better use it wisely!

Sorry that I can't help you with your choice of the others. I've tried a few other KR wines and liked them all. The Limited Editions are fantastic. If you can get your hands on a KR limited, I say go for it. You'll pay a little less than double for it compared to the Classic line, but they're well worth it.

DaveM:

Unfortunately Vineco seems to have stopped doing the Ken Ridge Classic Limiteds. Seem to be emphasizing the development of the Cheeky Monkey kits. Fortunately, they are still making the Ken Ridge Showcase Limiteds.

Must echo your recommendation of the KR Classic Merlot.

Ed:

I'm a big fan of Vineco kits; however, I haven't tried the kits you asked about as I prefer the Showcase kits.

Steve

@cpfan: There used to be Classic Limiteds? That must have been before my time as a winemaker. I was talking about the regular Limiteds. I guess I mean the Showcase Collection.

Has anyone made the Cheeky Monkey? Are they any good? Impressions?

@cpfan: There used to be Classic Limiteds? That must have been before my time as a winemaker. I was talking about the regular Limiteds. I guess I mean the Showcase Collection.

Has anyone made the Cheeky Monkey? Are they any good? Impressions?

Looks like 2008/2009 was the last year for KR Classic Limiteds (New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, California Old Vine Zinfandel).

I've only made the CM German Gewurztraminer, and we are enjoying it (got a great deal on the price). I've talked to others who have enjoyed the CMs.

Steve

My Merlot is actually a Grand Cru from RJS, that brand is available from the same store. but grand cru didn't have a cab/shiraz that I was looking for so i plan on going with Kenridge next. Since I'm new I am trying to stay with the mid range 10L kits until I know what im doing then I might branch off.

Edward, I think that's a good idea to stay with the smaller kits until you're sure enough of your skill to move up the ladder. I had a friend of mine tell me to not waste my time with the smaller kits. So I bought a 16L $95 (I think) kit. It was a KR Showcase Amarone. Turns out I didn't quite know what "clear" meant, because my kit dropped all kinds of sediment in the bottle. It is now 2 years old, and is a great wine, but I can't bring it to any dinner parties, etc because the sediment will go back into suspension on the way there.

So I'd definitely recommend doing what you're doing by doing 2 or 3 cheaper kits first.

The KR Classic is available for about $65 which is about the same as the other 10L kits around here. My only reservation going with a very bold red is I don't want to have to age it forever before its drinkable, I really want to do a few early drinkers so I have some stock. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back