WineXpert Keeping you posted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove Cottage

Reaction score
What a hobby!

This weekend I nervously started my first wine (VR Zinfandel). Preparing to start my wine, I read the instructions no less than 5 times.
smiley5.gif

In preperation, I scrubbbed the kitchen sinks,mixed my sanitizer, and sanitized everything in sight.After using the spoon to stir the must I washed it again and put it back in the sanitizing solution. When I retrieved the spoon to stir in the cool water, I noticed several cat hairs floating on top. Oh well, so much for sanitizing. Rinsed them off and will hope for the best.

When taking the temp of the must it was on the warm side ...80 degrees. I live in Florida, the AC was down to 70 degrees but I guess I had made the "hot" water too hot.Youwould have laughed if you could have seen what I did to cool things down. I took every cold bottle of beer, water, milk, salad dressing, mayonnaise etc. and placed them around the outside of the bucket to form a cool zone. It finally worked and I was able to add the yeast.

I covered thebucket with the lid and a napkinand when it had started to ferment the next day I added the airlock.I checked the bucket before I went to bed(yes, it's in my bedroom) thebucket was "domed" from the pressure. I gave it a little push and the airlock sounded like a perculator and popped the little red cap. Heck, I had to sleep with earplugs last night since the "burble... burble" was driving me crazy.

If my first day of winemaking was this exciting, I can barely wait until I try to bottle this stuff.

Hope this brought back some memories for those of you who are now acomplished wine makers. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Margaret

Great story Margaret. 80 would have been cool enough for the yeast, but I see you are OCD like me. Good job!

smiley20.gif

I have mine in the bedroom as well. I live in Louisiana so I know what you mean about being hot.
smiley35.gif

When I did mine, I couldn't get the temp of the must in the recommended range. It was in the 80-85degrees range. I keep it cool in my house but the stuff just wouldn't cool off.
smiley19.gif

Mine took off just fine though and has done everything thus far that everyone else's seems to do. I do not anticipate any problems at all.
smiley32.gif

I to am on my first kit but much of the confusion is going away as I watch each phase of this process and I ask questions as we go. Once you get over the intimidation of "If it isn't done exactly this way, it will go bad" and realize those who create these kits know we are not Rocket Scientist (hence the guarantee on the kits)and make it pretty easy for us. I know my next kit will go much much easier and after it I expect to be an expert at this!
smiley23.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Plus the biggest and best factor! These forums.
smiley20.gif
If you have a question you can get in answered almost immediately by experienced folks. You can't beat that. Free tech support and virtually the drop of a hat!
smiley32.gif

Keep us up to date on how that Zinfandel is turning out. I just wish I could decide what my next kit will be.
smiley24.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Hippie and Smurfie, thanks for the encouragement. I’m happy to report that things are bubbling along just fine …. at least for today.

Latest posts

Back