K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dz-015

Junior
Reaction score
The "sulfite" packet in the RJ Spagnols is 4.8 grams - which by my calculations is somewhere a little above 8/10 of a teaspoon (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is larger than 1/4 teaspoon (or less) recommended if you want to bulk age.

Is this because that dosage is required for the degassing phase, which is right after RJS has you adding the sulfite packet?

Or is it because you need that much to counteract the potassium sorbate that RJS has you add right after adding the sulfite?

Or is it because it is possibly something other than potassium metabisulfite, perhaps potassium bisulfate?

Thanks in advance!

This is the initial dose to get your wine into the 40-60ppm level to protect it off the bat. This will drop off as it reacts with Oxygen over time, thus the need to add more down the road when you bulk age. If you will be bottling within the 90 day time period do not add any more, your good for at least 90 days and usually more.

So would you add more K meta after bulk aging Mike? Or just bottle? Dont you need a fresh dose to protect the wine in the bottle?

This is where sulfite testing comes into play. You may or may not need any more. If you don't want to mess with any testing then add a 1/8 tsp top up dose just before bottling as long as it has been at least 3-4 months time since you added the initial package or any subsequent top up dose. If this is a White wine I would for sure add a top up dose. Its the reds that can usually do OK without an additional dose.

Latest posts

Back