K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Junior
Reaction score
Ready to bottle my first batch on the 16th...I here alot about K-meta...What exactly is this and what are its uses...Any help is greatly appreciated
smiley1.gif

What is the batch - a kit with added packets or a fruit/country wine?
K-Meta is Potassium metabisulfate which is basically a preservative. I keeps S02 suspended in the bottle so that bacteria and other nasties can't have a favorable environment to reproduce in. If you followed a kits directions and added all the packets- you are all set unless you buk aged(in which case you probably want to add an extra 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 gallon kit).

Thanks Appleman, I have a WE island mist Blk Rasp Merlot...Is there a need to add K-meta to the bottles or is thatjust for longer aging wines???

This is kind of a trick question. It is really designed for wine that will stay the test of time but will help your low abv wine shelf longer also. It is an anti-oxidant. It really helps alot with wines that we bulk age also.

If added to bottles (750ml) what would the amount be or justadd to the bulk wine and then bottle?
O yeah, why "K" in K-meta?

"K" is the chemical name for Potassium like H20 is water. I would add 1/4 tsp per the 6 gallon batch and stir it in well, preferably extract a cup of the wine, stir in the k-meta and add it back. N- meta is Sodium meta and is a stronger sanitizer but not recommended for adding to wine. We have enough sodium input in our bodies with out adding to our wines plus it gives off a slight taste. It is a cheaper way off sanitizing though and is actually stronger so if you start to make a lot of wine then I recommend this as a sanitizing alternative.

Yeah...k-meta = potassium metabisulfite! Who wants to type that bad boy out???
smiley2.gif

Like Wade says, the potassium metabisulfite should be added the the batch not each bottle. That would take forever and how do you split a quarter teaspoonful of potassium metabisulfite into 30?That would be like 1/120 of a tespoonful per bottle. And then how do you stir the potassium metabisulfite in each bottle? You could use campden tablets, but they would need to be spit into 5 pieces and then crushed and added to give the proper amount per bottle of potassium metabisulfite.

I typed out potassium metabisulfite each time I wanted to use potassium metabisulfite in a sentence. What a pain to type in potassium metabisulfite so many times, much quicker for k-meta!

Thanks, I got it....Didnt know K=Potassium...7th grade earth science was a few years back.

Not sure if I extract a cup of wine for the K-meta that it will make it back to the batch though!
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back