K-meta / Asthma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I know that working with K-meta can trigger an asthma attack to an asthmatic, it can also take the breath away from someone without asthma. After the K-meta is liquidize in the wineand in a carboy with an airlock can the fumes still be harmful to a person with asthma?

I have asthma and I am very careful working withK-meta, but I have twenty carboysgoing so I wonder if the gas being released can be harmful.

Any gas in large enough concentrations can be bad for asthmatics as well as normal lung function individuals. With that many carboys working at once, make sure there is adequate ventilation for the room. Don't place them in a closet sized room all shut up and then enter it immediately. Place them in a larger room with natural or atificial air flow to provide adequate air exchange and there is little likelihood of any problems.

Have you had any reactions from being around the fumes when you are mixing it or using it? If not I really doubt you will ever accumulate enough fumes to be an issue unless you brew in an airtight vacuum chamber.

Asthma is triggered by an allergen. If that is the allergen that triggers your asthma than any level of exposure could trigger a bronchospasm. Not every exposure to a particular substancewill trigger a response though. I highly recommend that you always have your inhaler in your pocket when you are around your winemaking area though.

One other thing to throw in there is that you don't have to inhale an allergen such as K-Meta to trigger an attack, Ingesting can cause an issue just as much as inhalation.

Forgot to throw in there. I am a paramedic and have plenty of experience with asthma patients. I just came home from a refresher class. Guess what the subject was today? You guessed it, allergic reactions as well as associated breathing issues including asthma so a little bit of the info is fresh in the Medulla.
smiley2.gif

smurfe; sometimes when I get to close to my pail of cleaning solution. Anyway, inhaler always near by.
Thanks guys

Maybean allergic reactionwhat i am experiencing when I get around food because I just start slobbering
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back