K Meta additions for recipes less than 5 gal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdevrard

Reaction score
I swear I searched first last night before posting this.

I got the whole 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons of must part! What I want to know is a per gallon addition of K meta so I can do partial batches.

The best answer I found in my search was:
"2 tsp k-meta in 20oz of water. Sulfite additions are 15cc (1 tsp.) of this solution per gallon.
This is the same rate as 1/4 tsp in 5g"

This doesn't make sense to b/c if this recipe will treat 40 gals of must (factor of 8 in relation to the 1/4 tsp to 5 gal) and 20 oz of water = 120 tsp, that 120 tsp/40 gals = 3tsp per gallon.

Is this correct? 3 tsp. per gallon of above recipe?

Or is there a better way to measure volume-wise for the dry powder per gallon? I don't have a scale so weight is no help.

Or should I just go buy a stinkin' scale?

Thanks!

CE

As long as you are consistent any volume will work. For instance if you put 1/4 tsp kmeta and 5 tbls of water in a jar and dissolve then you would add 1 tbls of the mixture per gallon. If you used tsp it would be the same, 1/4 tsp of kmeta and 5 tsp of water dissolved, then add 1 tsp per gallon.

I make a lot of 3 gallon batches so I do this a lot, 1/4 tsp of kmeta and 5 tbls of water then I add 3 tbls of the mixture to the 3 gallon carboy.

a 1/4 tsp up to 5 gallons. When I make a 3 gallon batch I put 1/4 tsp in but if I'm making a 1 gallon batch I put maybe 1/2 of that in. Just make sure you degas before bottling and make sure it has aged :b

I am not nearly as mathmatically inclined as all of you. However when I am making a batch that is more than 1 gallon and less than 5 (IE:3) I just drop 1/4 tsp of K-meta in.
I usually intend to bulk age them for ages anyway, so I figure some extra meta cant be that bad.
I even air (swirl) out my wines before drinking.

For 1 gallons I reluctantly use camden tabs

I make 6 gallon batches and use 1/4 tsp. for the 5 gallon carboy and 1 campden tablet for the 1 gallon.

Back