K-Met What's it mean???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm trying to figure out what the definition of the acronym K-Met is and subsiquently,why it's necessary in my wine.

Anyone have an answer?
Mike

K is the Chemical letter for Potassium and Meta is Metabisulfite(K-Meta). It helps fight off microorganisms and also is a good anti-oxidant which will preserve your wine for extended periods of time.

Masta,

Thanks for the link to the Powerpoint show. I found it very informative, but have a question. I bought some k-meta to sanitize with. The label states to dissolve 3 TBS/Gal of water. The guy at the store I bought it from said it would last a long time, but using this much K-Meta every time I sanitze means it will be gone very quickly. Does this mixture sound correct?

You can reuse it if you are careful not to contaminate the solution. Get a gallon glass or plastic jug and keep in it tightly corked. It is a lot cheaper by the pound also and that will last a long time.

onin24eagle said:
Masta,

Thanks for the link to the Powerpoint show. I found it very informative, but have a question. I bought some k-meta to sanitize with. The label states to dissolve 3 TBS/Gal of water. The guy at the store I bought it from said it would last a long time, but using this much K-Meta every time I sanitize means it will be gone very quickly. Does this mixture sound correct?

Yes that is the correct ratio (3 TBS TO 1 GAL) and if you buy Na-meta (sodium metabisulfite) it is much cheaper than K-meta and buying it in bulk as appleman suggested will also save some cash.

5 lbs for $10.99;
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=7060CEdited by: masta

appleman said:
You can reuse it if you are careful not to contaminate the solution. Get a gallon glass or plastic jug and keep in it tightly corked. It is a lot cheaper by the pound also and that will last a long time.

How can you tell if it's contaminated? If it has a few specks of dirt (or something) is it still reusable? I don't want to cheap out, but also don't want to waste it if I can continue to use it.

I've been storing mine in a plastic water jug. Is that OK or is glass preferrable?

Whenever in doubt, throw it out.
You can buy more sanitizer (or whatever)for $5.00
What's your wine cost you?

I only reuse k-meta solution that I have put in a bucket or other clean vessel to soak small utensils that were clean to begin with. Anything used for general cleaning gets discarded. Before I put anything back in a bottle, I check it for strength with a careful quick sniff. If it makes you step back after sniffing(strong smell) and is visibly clean, it's still good.

Like they said, if in doubt throw it out.

I use a spray bottle for cleaning all my utensils. The meta stays pretty good in it also. I bought a new sprayer just for this purpose at a dollar store, please do not use 1 that had another chemical in it.

Good warning Wade about not reusing a spray bottle from something else. DO NOT USE that little spray bottle the Roundup came in. The little bottles can be bought cheaply at home harware stores,etc.

I use spray bottles for B-Brite, Campden tablet sanitizing solution (12 tablets per gallon), and another one for a solution mixed up for me by my LHBS. It contains citric acid and K-meta (I think). Works great. Each bottle has a different color sprayer on it, so I know what I am reaching for without using a label. The bottles were picked up at Sam's Club.

you do not have to and really shouldnt rinse out any bottles after sanitizing with k-meta as that would defeat the purpose as you would just be introducing bacteria again. Just let them drip dry and they dont have to be perfectly dry either.

The chlorine compound in the K-Met evaporates in a short period of time.
What's left in the bottle just before fillingis so insignifcant as to be ofno concern to me anyway.
I dont rinse because like Wade said, even the purist of water leaves the bottle open to bacteria between the rinse and fill cycle.

Muscadine wine, Im looking at your campden tablet spraying solution and if you are using that to sanitize stuff i dont believe its going to work as that is very weak. K-meta to be used as a sanitizer should be used at 3 tbsp. per gallon. 3.5 campden tablets = 1/4 tsp of k-meta and 3 tsp.'s of k-meta =1 tbsp so I believe you would need 126 campden tablets per gallon for a sanitizing solution, this is why we buy it by the lb.

I also add 1/2 tsp citric acid to my solution which is used in the spray bottle. 3 tbsp K-Meta & 1/2 tsp citric acid to 1 gallon of water.

I keep 4 gallons of sanitizing solution made up all the time. I keep rotating the jugs to ensure it gets used up before going bad.

Salute! Edited by: bmckee56

wade said:
Muscadine wine, Im looking at your campden tablet spraying solution and if you are using that to sanitize stuff i dont believe its going to work as that is very weak. K-meta to be used as a sanitizer should be used at 3 tbsp. per gallon. 3.5 campden tablets = 1/4 tsp of k-meta and 3 tsp.'s of k-meta =1 tbsp so I believe you would need 126 campden tablets per gallon for a sanitizing solution, this is why we buy it by the lb.

wade--I'll ask my LHBS about this. He is the one that told me that 12 tablets would be enough. I have never bought K-meta by the pound, but I may have to try it. I am always learning something new. Thanks for the info.

1 tablet per gallon of must is good to kill off off wild yeast cells for wine. Dble check my math but I know 3.5 = 1/4 tsp and I know that the recommended dosage for making a solution is 3 tbls per gallon. Im pretty sure it takes 3 tsp to equal 1 tbls also so I think its 3.5 x 4 x 3.
OK, my math was way off and I knew it sounded high but my mind worked it out a few times and every time i did it, it came out the same but the real answer is 42</font>.
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif
Shame on me!</font></font>

wade said:
1 tablet per gallon of must is good to kill off off wild yeast cells for wine. Dble check my math but I know 3.5 = 1/4 tsp and I know that the recommended dosage for making a solution is 3 tbls per gallon. Im pretty sure it takes 3 tsp to equal 1 tbls also so I think its 3.5 x 4 x 3.
OK, my math was way off and I knew it sounded high but my mind worked it out a few times and every time i did it, it came out the same but the real answer is 42</font>.
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif
Shame on me!</font></font>

wade--42 is still a long way from 12. I am particular about cleaning and sanitizing. I hope to have an answer next week. Should make for an interesting conversation.

Back