Just want to make sure...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, so i'm thinking about my second batch of Apfelwien(sp?). I made a one gallon batch about a year ago and when i finally remembered it downstairs (i have no clue why i even forgot it was there since my sis's beer was also there) it tasted like rocket fuel with a back kick of apple. After a few glasses (not on the same day, i'm a MASSIVE lightweight when it comes to alchol) it started to taste like rocket fuel bread...:rdo
I'm making the assumtion that i left on the yeast cake too long. Any thoughts? Would rather no repeat that experiment..

It is hard to tell what you did wrong without knowing what ingredients you used and what steps you have taken.

Please post up, recipe, sg readings and what all you did with it before forgetting about it.

Did you use a hydrometer? The more sugar you use in the beginning the more alc you'll produce. Never trust a recipe when it comes to acid or sugar even if its my recipe as sugar content and acidity will always change even amongst the same fruit. Try to start with a starting gravity of 1.085 and I think next time youll have a much better result. Ive never made Apfelwein so maybe that requires an even lower starting gravity. As far as the bread taste if you have left it on there for a long time then that most likely is the problem. Get it off the primary sediment (lees) after about 2-3 weeks max and off the secondary lees right after i is done fermenting and stabilize then also.

okay i just checked my notes to see what i did wrong and i think the note taking might have been part of the problem...or the lack there of.:c
I do know that the reciept called for corn sugar and i only had regular sugar (labeled 'vegan', don't know how sugar could be vegan but whatever) so i used that. And no i didn't use a hydrometer and yes i learned my lesson on that. *shame* I just sort of threw it all together to see what would happen. I know now that that was a mistake. Here's the reciept i used i just backed it down to a gallon

5 gal apple juice (i used whole foods cause it comes in a growler:D)
2lbs corn sugar
1pkt montrachet wine yeast

Grab hydrometer. The cost about $6 usd.
Also rack the applewine off the gross lees and degass/ stabilize.
That will reduce the amount of yeast in the wine.

That sounds like the same apfelwein recipe I'm using. I have 5 gallons but I racked it at 2 months to get it off the sediment. It actually tasted pretty good then (compared to my first batched that only aged 1 month). Its still aging now. Try back sweetening or putting it over ice??? I wish I could forget about some of my beers and wine for a year......but it hasn't happened yet.

Latest posts

Back