Just transferred to secondary a few days ago - very watery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malisk

Reaction score
So, I am wondering if this batch doesn't have a chance. I just transferred it to secondary a few days ago and today stirred it a bit according to instructions (Vino Italiano 4 week valpolicella). I tasted a sip from the spoon afterwards and it was very, very, very watery. Is there any way to fix this or am I doomed? I have a thought as to what probably caused it - when I first got the kit I couldn't get that stupid cap off of the bag (since bought a decapper) so I simply cut the bag and dumped it in. The instructions never said to fill it back with water and dump it in again to get all the must out, so I tossed probably a good amount (whatever wouldn't come out after a good few squeeze and twists) of the must.

Is this batch doomed to the watery depths, or is there a way to save it at this point?

EDIT: I don't know how to delete threads otherwise I would. I took a wine thief and took a much larger sample and it tasted like pure death rocket fuel wine! I guess the reason it tasted watery is because I took a small sip from a spoon at first. Sorry to waste anyone's time!

Last edited:
Just curious, is pure death rocket fuel wine preferrable to watery wine?

So you are aware the kit you made is to put it bluntly, cheap cheap cheap. If you're looking for something with more body then step up to a better quality level such as 15 or 16 L kits. In wine making you definately get what you pay for.

cheers

The Vino Italiano kits are pretty "thin". As a result, many people seem to make these to 5 gallons instead of 6. I've made two (Barolo and Cab). Yours probably tastes like pure death rocket fuel because it is so green. I made the VI Barolo in March of last year, and it's just now coming around. Give it some time.

If it is still too weak you can probably help it out a bit by adding concentrates. Just remember it will probably have to sit for a while for everything to blend in again. After addition, sometimes you have to let it sit to clear again. Can take quite a while but fining mite help it along. Arne.

Arne makes a good suggestion on concentrates (like maybe red grape?), and it is true that people make the cheap 6-gallon kits as 5-gallon batches to boost them. Many are happy with the 5-gallon result.

If all else fails, or if you are finding your wine has a lower finished alcohol content than you wanted, you can blend your finished wine with another complimentary wine of higher alcohol content.

Your kit may also benefit from adding sugar after it is stabilized. You can try that trick in a glass first to see how it does. Measure the sugar directly into the glass of wine. If you really want to get technical, measure the volume of test wine and then add in measured amounts of sugar. When you hit the sweet spot, just multiply out the measurements to cover your whole carboy.

Sometimes making a really sweet wine out of a ho-hum wine by backsweetening makes it come around enough to be saved, though it'll be a dessert-style wine then and not everyone likes sweet wines. Better than tossing it!

Thanks everyone. When I took a bigger sample it tasted more like actual wine, so I still have high hopes.

Red kit wines tend to be thinner than their commercial counterparts, regardless of the kit. As far as rocket fuel, right after fermentation is completed. most reds taste pretty bad. They are tart and very rough.

I doubt the little bit of must left in the shipping bag wold have made much difference. To add more body, one can add things like gum arabic or glycerin. I utilize a wine barrel to thicken up the wine. In a barrel, some of the wine will evaporate out, leaving a gap, which when filled (topped off) with commercial wine, will become thicker with each top off.

I may be one of the biggest paklab proponents on the forum.
I have found that with tweaks (some times an overhaul) they make a good everyday wine that is drinkable early.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/experiment-paklab-italiano-kit-33990/

If you add some things before your yeast is dead you can help this batch alot. If you can get some Alexander red concentrate, use that instead of sugar. If not, a couple lbs of red raisins. (be careful of preservatives in the raisins), some tannin, some enzyme to help the raisins.

If it is still too weak you can probably help it out a bit by adding concentrates. Just remember it will probably have to sit for a while for everything to blend in again. After addition, sometimes you have to let it sit to clear again. Can take quite a while but fining mite help it along. Arne.

Would you have to add more yeast after adding the concentrates in?

I have made the Vino Italiano Valpolicella kit several times. In fact I opened a bottle of it tonight. It is not bad making it just as instructed and with a few tweaks it is pretty good! I have a cousin who is a bit of a wine snob. She was sampling my wines while declaring that only the french knew anything about good wine. She insisted that California wines were mediocre at best. I did not tell her that what she was drinking was home made and was Vino Italiano Valpolicella. She insisted it was a very good $35.00 bottle and could not believe that the Italians actually knew how to make wine! Personally I think it makes a pretty good $10 wine but never $35.

Would you have to add more yeast after adding the concentrates in?

Kinda depends what you are trying to do. If the wine is already stabalized, more yeast will probably not get it to take off again. If not stabalized, chances are it may referment. If you are just trying to bump the taste, referment is not necessary. If you think you need higher alcohol, then you want more fermentation. If it ferments tho, you will probably weaken the flavor a bit. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back