just started - clean cloth or airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kywine3202p

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a batch of 1 gallon strawberry wine. I clean and sanitize everything. I put everything it the bucket and waited 24 hours to put my yeast in, which I did two day ago. After I put the yeast in, for reason unknown, I put a airlock not a clean towel. In about 7 hours, the airlock was burping every few seconds. But I read that you should put a clean towel for 5 to 6 days after you put yeast in from several books. Why is that? Did a ruined my wine from the start?

Your yeast needs oxygen while it is fermenting. A clean cloth is best.

Folks use both methods. I use a towel until I move it to a carboy at 1.010 or lower. You will be ok either way.

You did not ruin your wine. It is better to just lay something over the top instead of snapping the lid down and adding an airlock. This ensures a good fermentation.

If you're taking the lid off 2 or 3 times a day to punch down the must, that's probably giving it enough oxygen. But prying the lid off is often a hassle that could be avoided with a cloth. If you just set the lid on it without snapping it down, the airlock will only serve to plug the hole in the lid. I've done that with the airlock empty so it keeps foreign matter from getting in.

Oops, I just re-read your original post and noticed it's a one gallon batch. How big is your bucket? There could be a lot of oxygen in the head space.

It is a two gallon bucket. I already removed the lid and put a clean towel over it. Thank you all for the advise!

Latest posts

Back