WineXpert Just Bought a New Kit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
Just bought a Winexpert's Selection Cabernet Franc to start! Anybody have any experience with this kit? I also bought a Island Mist Green Apple Reisling as a quick drinker. This will be in addition to the Welchs White grape currently brewing! Should keep me busy for the Spring and early summer!

I haven't made either. Looking forward to your report.
smiley1.gif

We have made both kits. The cab is fantastic. It is really sweet so you can't drink much at one time, but it is really good. Green apple riesling is also fantastic. I added 7 1/2 cups sugar at start to up alcohol content, and we just finished making our 2nd batch, because the first is gone. We bottled the first batch on Dec. 17, 2009 and we have only a couple bottles left. We gave away some for Christmas, and our daughter and son-in-law have gotten their share as we have. I'm sure you will be pleased with both.

WE makes two Cab Franc kits in their Selection lines.

I think Donna made the Selection Speciale Cab Franc Icewine. Yes it is sweet.

I think burningalive bought the Selection Original Cab Franc. It is dry.

Never the twain shall meet, except maybe in the vineyard.

Steve

I have made the cab franc, and of all the kits I have made, it is easily in the top 3. You will be very happy with it.

Awsome! Thanks for the feedback. And yes cpfan you are correct the Selection Original Cab Franc is what I got. How long did you guys age these before drinking?

Ok new question... :)

I added the oak and it says to push it under the surface of the juice......well thats impossible! So I sprinkled the yeast on what was a bunch of wet oak dust, is this ok? Will the yeast still get through and do it's job?

Well, technically you did "push it under the surface of the juice" if it is wet! That is what I always do.

No kidding, it's bubbling so much it almost looks like it's boiling! This is like the 5th or 6th batch we've done and this is by far the most active yet!

Fermentations are just like kids, they each have their own unique personality.
smiley14.gif

I've never made the Cab Franc but I can tell you that I make the Welch's Niagara (white) wine a couple times a year. My wife loves this wine and and I have made 4 batches so far. I can make 5 gallons of this wine for under $25. Let us know about the Cab Franc and I hope everything turns out great!

Latest posts

Back