Just about ready

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicP

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve got all the gear so just got to get the nerve to start my first brew. This might be a stupid question but as we in the UK are now in our summertime what would be the best place in the house to start the fermentation ?

Depends. You want to check the specs of the yeast that you want to use. They all have preferred temperature ranges and in my opinion, all other things considered you want to ferment at their lower end of the range. What that may mean is that sometimes you might need to rig a desert cooler. You fill a tub with cold water and add ice to this from time to time. Or you might soak a towel in water and drape it over the sides of your carboy or fermenter. As the water evaporates it will create a local area of cooler temperature.

That said, some yeasts are OK at higher temperatures but those yeasts tend to be very aggressive and strip off flavor rather than add character to a wine. But in a pinch if that is the best yeast for your climate and weather than you gotta do what you gotta do.

First off, consider starting with a red if you're concerned about warm weather temperatures. The reason is that whites ferment best at around 7-19C while reds can do well at 20-27C. Note, however, that these temps refer to the temperature in the fermenter which is somewhat higher than the ambient temperature.

Next, use a yeast that's capable of fermenting well under your conditions. One example is Red Star's Montrachet yeast which is inexpensive, can be used with many varietals, and ferments to 30C.

Finally, locate your fermenter at a spot where the temperature suits your need and that remains fairly constant. This could be at a lower level, near an air conditioner or fan, and away from direct sunlight.

Last edited:
I’ve got all the gear so just got to get the nerve to start my first brew. This might be a stupid question but as we in the UK are now in our summertime what would be the best place in the house to start the fermentation ?
in the UK your summers are much cooler then the USA, people that i know from not to far away since your countries are about the size of our individual states here, and do not most there not have AC units because of cooler temps there"
Dawg

UK isn't that hot compared to California, and I would suggest that virtually anywhere inside, and out of direct sunlight would be fine. So an interior room, or shower would be very good. There will inevitably be spills and drips so keep that in mind. There are many yeasts that work well and will tolerate warmer fermets. Avante yeast for instance, lists an upper temp limit of 95F (35C). Highly doubtful you'll go much above 80F (27C). I ferment in my garage which can be cool at night but quite warm in the day. I use a floating thermometer to keep track of the temps. The highest temps in the must I have ever seen is around 85F and my climate is much hotter than the UK.

I would not use Montrachet yeast your first time out. Too many reports of H2S unless handled perfectly. If you are making a kit, I strongly recommend you just use the yeast in the kit. It will be "engineered" to work well most conditions with that particulat kit.

With your first fermentation you'll want everything perfect, but after awhile, you realize the process is pretty forgiving. And, your first vintage is not about making a great wine. It's about learning the process so you can make great wine later.

What volume are you doing? That plays a role, because larger volumes generate more heat and the container will typically have less surface area to dissipate that heat. If you are just doing a typical small batch like 20L, don't worry about it. If you feel it's too hot, set your fermenter in a tub of cool water.

Good luck.

Back