June 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodness, I have no idea. Strawberries don't really grow here. We usually have about 2 weeks of spring and then HOT. For strawberries, I'm at the mercy of whatever is in the frozen fruit section at my grocery store
Maybe someone a little further north will chime in.

I wonder if you could "cheat" and find a frozen strawberry drink concentrate to add to a faded strawberry colored wine.

I actually have an update!

We cracked a bottle of my Dandelion Mead a little while back with my boss. She has tried several "professional" ones that she had purchased previously, so I was hoping for a bit of a comparison with that to my little batch.

I'm just going to put it out there: Dandelion Mead is not for me. It tastes too much like...dandelions. Lol! It did have a pretty good balance of sweetness/acid, although I would have added a bit more acid at the end for more of a pop. The dandelion flavour REALLY came forward over the last 2.5 years or so. It's not overpowering or anything; sort of floral, woodsey, earthy, with some bitterness. The honey really only came out at the back of the throat afterwards.

My boss said that of the three commercial ones she tried: "dump out the bottle", "cringe your way through it", and "drinking it but only one glass" (these are her categories) she said it blew all of them out of the water. Still not something she would have more than a glass and a bit of at a time, even though it was much better than "drinking it but only one glass" however. Hubster and I agreed, and he liked the flavour more than I did.

My boss took the remainder of the bottle to her cabin to share with her family, and they raved about it. So there are people out there that really do like Dandelion Mead! I don't think this will be a do-over unless someone expressly asks me to make them some. It felt good to know that it nailed the commercial versions to the wall, and to taste it finally myself.

I'm calling this a partial success.
Do I like it? No
Do others? Yes, if it's your thing.

Seems a bit too specialized for my tastes and making efforts when it comes down to the end of it!

Latest posts

Back