June 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winesleeper,
Just my 2 cents here...if that were my wine, I'd top off the carboy with some of the wine in the 750 and move the remainder to a 375 or a beer bottle or something else. You have a lot of head space and I'd be concerned about oxidation.
I agree winesleeper, those bottles both need top ups.
I've used kool aid in one of my wines for more red. It's only at the 6 month mark though so can't say on taste. Strawberry kool aid may add a bit more flavor. IMO unknown by me though.

My Roobios tea wine just hit SG 1.10. I'll wait a few more days then rack. Still smelling Mmmm

Thanks Jeri! I've been eying some red onion pickle type recipes lately for sammy toppers. Looking for a sour type one.Will give this a go for sure!

Here's my thoughts currently for my label. Opinions?

:u Let's try that again!

Dandelion Mead.jpg

Last edited:
Can you blow it up a bit? I can't see it or get it to enlarge properly.

Update on my red blueberry:

Racked this wine last night. It dried out very nicely - got to about 0.995. It may have some CO2 holding up the hydrometer, so it might be closer to 0.990, I'm not sure. I made sure to have enough extra to do a little taste test, and let me just say, this wine will be fantastic. Easily one of the best I've made. I do get a little smelliness from the blueberry, as I've heard can happen, but it tastes phenomenal.
I decided to call this stuff Greed. It just seemed fitting somehow with the plethora of flavors and aromas to be had. I'm not sure on a label yet, but it'll get there. Also, I attached the final version of the recipe, in case anyone would like to try to reproduce it.

EDIT: I know the paper says 3 quart of black cherry concord, but it was actually 4 quarts, so I'd have enough to fill the carboy. Also, I forgot to mention that the oak comes through really well on this one.

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

Last edited:
So I racked my wine this morning. SG .992. Could still smell some of the tea so I'm hoping the flavor stays. To chicken to taste just yet lol.I'll wait a few more weeks to make sure it's done fermenting then will maybe add blueberry fpak. I want to wait to see if I can taste some of the favor of tea because I don't want to lose it in blueberry.

Strawberry Wine Update

Stressbaby – I did what you said to do somewhat. I racked the wine again and topped off the gallon jug with the 750. But what was left in the 750 I drank as a sample. Then I opened that beer you were talking about and sampled it. So now what was I going to do with that empty beer bottle…

Vernsgal – I’m still thinking about the strawberry Kool-Aid, red food coloring or beet juice. Have not decided yet.

Racked this today. S.G. 1.004 I think it may be finished. Taste is actually quite good at this point. Like a young Sauvignon Blanc.

Very promising!

I can't believe it's already June!

Buffalo Frenchy, I'm not sure if you did the maple wine or not. If you did, let me know and I will add it to the summary.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread... I have done the Maple mead. It is crystal clear and will taste/rack within the next week.

20141011_212403.jpg

Last edited:
Strawberry Wine Update

Bottled my wine at the 6 month mark and ended up with (5) 750 ml bottles.
Starting SG 1.090
Finished SG .990
Back sweetened with simple syrup
Final SG 1.010 after back sweetening. But the SG was 1.014 at the time of bottling.
TA: .625%
PH: 3.6-3.8
ABV: 13%

After trying a bottle I decided it was a good simple strawberry wine. With the change of SG at bottling time it made the wine too sweet for me. Going to start back sweetening with a final SG of 1.006 and hope for a bottling day SG of 1.010.

20141219_143528.jpg

Looks good!

Is the final color peach toned or is that just my computer? Not a criticism, I've just heard that getting a straight strawberry wine to stay red can be a bit of a challenge.

I will be racking my June wine tomorrow.....but OMG! This is so wonderful.

Strawberry Wine Update

@Jericurl yes, the strawberry wine has a peach toned color. In earlier post I questioned what to add to change the color to a light red. I added 6 drops of red food coloring and it still looked like peach. So I stopped and decided on the next batch I would try the beet juice. Or maybe I will use a different type of strawberry to get the color. What type of strawberry will keep its color?

Latest posts

Back