Juicer/Steamer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Eland said:
I ordered the N12 steamer/juiceryesterday and can't wait for it's arrival. I have pears,applesand wild grapes in the freezer waiting to be juiced. I will be getting crabapples this weekend. Eland
I was reading this older post when a question popped up in my head. Would one of these be practicle to make watermelon concentrate?

I don't think you want to put any source of heat near watermelon as it will probably increase the rate of spoilage. Cooler is better (or so I've read) if you want to make watermelon wine.

gaudet said:
I don't think you want to put any source of heat near watermelon as it will probably increase the rate of spoilage. Cooler is better (or so I've read) if you want to make watermelon wine.

I was thinking that as well, I was just wondering. Its to bad really, because then I could make watermelon wine batches all year long as I grow several different kinds and it would be nice to have concentrate. I guess I am going to have to experiment with freezingwatermelon juice. Maybe I could freeze it in exact quantities so that I can just unfreeze some and have the correct amount for a batch.

How is a steamer going to spoil the juice? If anything it would kill anything in the juice. It might be worth a try but watermelon has such a delicate flavor that the steaming might possibly flush something out. Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
How is a steamer going to spoil the juice? If anything it would kill anything in the juice. It might be worth a try but watermelon has such a delicate flavor that the steaming might possibly flush something out. Crackedcork

Dunno, thatsa why Ima askin yall.

BTW, I enjoyed your Cracked Corks WV Elderberry Webpage

Hey Texas, have you seen Jack Kellers website yet, its a REAL good place to start looking to learn how to make country wines and he has a few thoughts on making watermelon wine on there. Also the steamer I dont think really concentrates stuff, the steam seems to dilute it a little bit.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques11.asp

Glad you liked my little elderberry page, you should plant elderberries instead of watermelons, they make great wine :)

Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
Hey Texas, have you seen Jack Kellers website yet, its a REAL good place to start looking to learn how to make country wines and he has a few thoughts on making watermelon wine on there. Also the steamer I dont think really concentrates stuff, the steam seems to dilute it a little bit.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques11.asp

Glad you liked my little elderberry page, you should plant elderberries instead of watermelons, they make great wine :)

Crackedcork

I dunno if elderberries will grow around here. I dont think I would replace the watermelons though. I am interested in growing other fruit though. I went to a guys house a few days ago and he had 7 orange trees with just tons of oranges on the trees just rotting. Kinda made me mad but there his trees.

The watermelon juice seems to spoil much quicker than usual. I agree that steaming it would not spoil it, but I think it might make the spoilage rate increase because you have broken down the juice even further. Not a fact, just my opinion.

The only way to find out is to make a small batch. If the steamed juice has lost its flavor, toss it. Nothing venture, nothing gained.

Wonder if the heat would help preserve it??

I agree with smoke....try a small batch if you have lots of watermelons...

Latest posts

Back