Juice from L'uva Bella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike I also made that kit and thought it had to much of a jolly rancher taste to it. I blended the rest of the bottles I had of it with Rhubarb I got at walkers and that made an awesome combination.

Dan, your right, it would add a nice strawberry flavor in another blend. My wife prefers the wine cooler type of drink so this one made her happy!
The local farms will be pressing apple cider soon, going to make another batch of apple this year as the fresh juice is always very reasonable in price. Dan, can you send me the details of your award winning country apple, I think I'll make the entire batch with the spices included instead of just plain.
My last batch had too many cloves, too strong of a taste. Good thing it was only a few bottles. Maybe I should open some of the bottles & re-blend it with the regular apple to soften the strong taste?
AL

The local farms will be pressing apple cider soon, going to make another batch of apple this year as the fresh juice is always very reasonable in price. Dan, can you send me the details of your award winning country apple, I think I'll make the entire batch with the spices included instead of just plain.
My last batch had too many cloves, too strong of a taste. Good thing it was only a few bottles. Maybe I should open some of the bottles & re-blend it with the regular apple to soften the strong taste?
AL

Same here. Mine started refermenting so I put it back into a carboy. I was going to make a batch and blend it so it was not so overpowering. I also wanted to do a batch similar to Dan's. It was good.

Just racked my Muscato and Sauvignon Blanc to secondary. It took about 8 days for it to get down to 1.020 so I could transfer it.
The Pinot Noir, however, was transferred to secondary after 5 days at 1.014. It's now (after 8 days) down to .995 and still fermenting. I'll probably stabilize it this weekend.

Just racked my Muscato and Sauvignon Blanc to secondary. It took about 8 days for it to get down to 1.020 so I could transfer it.
The Pinot Noir, however, was transferred to secondary after 5 days at 1.014. It's now (after 8 days) down to .995 and still fermenting. I'll probably stabilize it this weekend.

I hope this batch of Pinot Noir turns out as well as last years batch. Mine has been in the secondary about 2 weeks now.

I hope this batch of Pinot Noir turns out as well as last years batch. Mine has been in the secondary about 2 weeks now.

Doug, what is your SG down to by now? I can't believe how fast mine is dropping. But it's still bubbling away.

Doug, what is your SG down to by now? I can't believe how fast mine is dropping. But it's still bubbling away.

I fermented dry in the primary. Left it there for about 2 weeks I think it was at .996 when I transferred. My whites were at or around 1.000-1.006 when I transferred them. Once they hit the carboy, I won't check sg for a month or so. I can tell you the juice I picked up on the 10th was down to around 1.020 (3 buckets average of 3) on Monday evening. They all were right around 1.094 when I picked them up. I'll probably be transferring those Tomorrow night. Have meetings tonight for council.

Are oak cubes an okay addition to Pinot Noir? :a1

Why not. I added oak to mine last year. I didn't use the cubes though. I added 1 oak spiral for 6 weeks. Olesia doesn't like real oaky wine so I didn't use both. I used the other in my Merlot. (I believe you had both) I used the light american spirals.

Pinot is generally pretty light oak wise. I have made two different kits and both had only 1 oz of chips for 6G of wine IIRC. You can always add a touch more if its missing something.

Stabilized my Pinot Noir. Added oak cubes. I'll just keep them in for a short period of time. Thanks for both of your inputs.

I still need to staibilize mine. I figure I'll have some time over the weekend or next week. No hurry now. I need to transfer the 2 that are in 6 gallon carboys to 5's to free those up for incoming grapes.

I have a Cabernet Sauvignon juice bucket coming in a couple of weeks. To "beef it up", I purchased a cabernet grape pack from George at FVW. Included with the grape pack was a small packet of "Enzyme Blend". How do I use it? Mix it in with the must? Sprinkle it over the bag containing the grape skins floating in the must? I'm pretty sure it's purpose is to break down the grapes, but I'm unsure of how to use it. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!! :a1

The purpose of the enzyme is to help break down a a stubborn white protein ring that was forming on many of the red wines from Cellar Craft. For the enzyme to work it must be added after you rack off the gross lees. Bentonite will deactivate the enzyme. The enzyme is usually added once you have racked off the gross lees and the wine has been moved to secondary.

Since your working with fresh juice instead of juice that has been processed like a kit wine I doubt you will need it. Just hold on to it for now.

Should you see any type of white ring you can add it to the carboy down the road. It will break down the ring in a couple weeks time.

Thanks, Mike. At the same time I posted the question on the forum, I emailed George. His answer was basically the same as yours. That is, put it in the carboy after the first racking. My first racking is to the secondary. When I do that, I stir it first so I carry the yeast and of course the bentonite with it. Is that bentonite carry-over going to be a problem? Or should I wait and add the enzyme when I stabilize it?

Yes, that would be a problem. If you do that then wait until the next or your first (clean) rack where your leaving all the sediment behind. There is no real hurry to add this. It will work at any time once the gross lees and bentonite are left behind.

My first racking is to the secondary. When I do that, I stir it first so I carry the yeast and of course the bentonite with it. Is that bentonite carry-over going to be a problem? Or should I wait and add the enzyme when I stabilize it?

Yes, that would be a problem. If you do that then wait until the next or your first (clean) rack where your leaving all the sediment behind. There is no real hurry to add this. It will work at any time once the gross lees and bentonite are left behind.

Thanks, Mike.
Based on your earlier post, I thought it would be a problem. I'll hold off for a while. Like you said, I may not even need it.

I just picked up my first bucket today. I got a Sauv. Blanc... The O.G. Was 1.093....
2 questions

It might be to late but do you guys recommend using bentonite....

What is a good temp to ferment this at.... Their website says around 76, but I know a lot of guys prefer to do whites on the cooler side...

How have you guys liked this juice... I've done 2 higher end kits and was not really impressed with the sav blancs

Thx

Latest posts

Back