Joe's Ancient Orange and SpiceMead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gaudet said:
I'm trying to get my hands on some tupelo honey. I want to make the recipe I saw that Masta made tupelo vanilla mead. it sounds delicious.

I can help with that try http://www.lltupelohoney.com/index.htm. I bought mine from them to make a Vanilla and a Cherry Vanilla Mead. They have been hanging out in the carboy for just over a year now. I plan to bottle both next January. Still thinking about holding back a gallon of the vanilla and letting it sit on some cinnamon sticks for a couple of months.
VPC

vcasey, what is your recipe for your cherry vanilla mead. That sounds really good. I would like to make some if it.

Cyndy

Keep in mind Cyndy this was a 7 gallon batch and I split the batch after it stalled and racked it into 2 5 gallon carboys one with the crushed cherries and vanilla and one with just the vanilla. Once all the heavy fermentation settled down (3 weeks) I racked them into the 3 gallon carboys with a 1/2 gallon of each left over for topping off. Be very careful of how many vanilla beans you use because it does not take much. The amount of cherries you use is up to you, I wanted enough to get a nice color to the mead so I went a bit heavy. Also I was looking for a dry mead that I can age for a bit. This batch was started 1/1/2008 and its still just hanging out in the carboy. It may get bottled next January, I haven't decided.
Here you go, I cut it down to a 3 gallon batch size.

Cherry Vanilla Mead
3 gallons
10 Lbs. Tupelo Honey (to 1095)
Water to 3 1/2 gallons
Yeast Happiness (Nutrient, DAP)
Rehydrate yeast with Go Ferm
Lavlin 71B

I did aged both on oak for a while. Well checking back over my notes they are still on oak. Sure can't tell, both meads are still pretty hot but the vanilla is still very strong.
VPC

I just started my 1 gallon bottle of JAO. I is really sweet, or to me it is. My SG is 1.122 and the temp is 78. When this is finished is it as sweet as it is now??

Yes it should be a bit sweet, that is the style of this particular mead. I have never made this so you'll have to see if someone has some numbers to give you a better idea. Good luck with it and have fun.
VPC

vcasey, I figured out way it is so sweet. I measured my honey wrong and put over a cup to much. I had not added the yeast yet so I poured some out of the gallon carboy and added more water. I have no idea what I have now.I don't know if I should just dump it and start over or just let it set and see what happens.

I amdrinking my first glass of my blackberry merlot. It has only been 28 days from the start date but it's notbad. A little on the sweet side but good. I wonder if I could bulk age 5 gallons and bottle 1 gallon to drink.

The blackberry merlot is meant to be drunk early. I would think you could bottle a gallon to drink right away and age the rest another month. I wouldn't wait too long to bottle it. That isn't necessary. If you don't drink it all up before then, it will still be good for one to two years. Enjoy it now while you make something to age more.

Sounds great appleman. I will filter all of it and bottle it this weekend. I am very happy with the way this one came out.

Back