Joe M’s Orange Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay folks, here's a dirty little secret about me. I hate paperwork. I try to avoid it. 2 nights after I started it and Poor Bert wanted to know what the SG was, I told him I didn't know because I'm following the directions to a T. I couldn't tell you which yeast I used because looked in the bag in the fridge, found one that there was more than 1 in there, poured it in and tossed the package. Of course, Poor Bert wanted to know what I had used but I gave him that vacant-teenager-you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me look.
smiley18.gif
Poor Bert! I told him I was excited about doing this mead because I don't have to do all that stuff.
smiley36.gif
I'll see if I can figure out which yeast I used though. I know where in the bad it was, so there is a chance. I swear that he must have put some of you up to asking me these questions!
smiley2.gif

If its any comfort PWP, when I do my cider or cyser batches I'm not as particular with all the info either as its normally a case of bung it all in and away it goes, although I do take a starting and a finishing SG
smiley1.gif

No prob PWP...Based on my handy mead calculator: If you followed the recipe with 3.5 lbs of honey per gal this will give you a starting reading of ~1.128 SG / 17.37 ABV Potential.

This is what I had for a starting gravity on my Orange Blossom Cyser and using Lalvin D-47 yeast it finished up at 1.020 SG which is a bit too sweet for me but ok as a desert wine.

Thanks guys. One hates to think one is the only lazy one!
smiley36.gif
It's good to know others understand what it's like to not be all et'up about doing paperwork and numbers...

I am a total virtual neatfreak. In real life... Slob to the tenth degree.

I almost never write things down, or think, "I'll remember that I added xyz" and I don't.

I now have my old laptop (barely runs XP, but does the job) down in my "wine lab" which is hooked up to a wireless network. I have a word document running constantly, and it is always saved to a "shared documents" folder. So, when I'm in my office (attic), I have access to the document I updated in my wine cellar (basement). This means, you guys get the latest info on my wines. Otherwise, I'd never know nuthin' about my wines.

I'm lazy, so at least I don't have to run down 3 flights of stairs.

Now why can't laundry be that easy?!?!?

smiley36.gif

Also, now you know why I forget to update pictures so often. I either leave the camera in the basement, or in the attic. Wherever I think of it, it's in the opposite place.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

I didn't take an SG of mine either as I was following directions. I did use Fleischman's bread yeast original kind, not the kind that says for bread machines. So, it was traditional bread yeast. My jar of it was fresh as I do make a lot of bread (both in machine and the old fashioned way). I started it on October 13th. I know the instuctions say to forget about it, but I didn't. Today I took a reading and a little taste. Well, it is sitting at about 0.998!!! I had no idea that bread yeast could ferment dry?!?! So, I tasted it, and yep, it is getting dry alright. I used the conversion of 4.3 cups of honey should = 3.5lbs of it. But I'm really surpised that it went this dry. Does anyone know what the alcohol tolerance is of bread yeast?

Not sure now Dean but before, I thought it was no more than 7-8%

hmmmmm. I wonder if I maybe had extra yeasts floating around in my wine making room that possibly took hold of it instead?I normally use EC-1118 which is supposed to be a killer yeast and will take hold of any fermentation as the dominant yeast. Either that, or I just lucked out. At any rate, it tastes quite dry with a distinctive alcohol hotness to it.

Not sure what conversion you used Dean but when I plug in 4.3 cups of honey to one gallon batch I get a SG of 1.062 and ABV of 8.15% which makes sense according to what others have said.

Calculator alsoconverted 4.3 cups = 1.68 lbs honey

Thanks Masta! Looks like I made a boo boo on the formula then, and no wonder it fermented it dry! Someone on winepress had said that the conversion came out to 4.x cups of honey.

Is there any chance I can add the extra honey, another 4+ cups of it and still keep it fermenting? What would you do to bring it to the correct volume of honey? Should I try to make a starter with another type of yeast as well?

I found some more info on this recipe in regards to yeast and SG. The recipe calls for using Fleischman's regular active dry yeast not the fast-rising yeast (RapidRise/Bread Machine Yeast). If you follow the recipe your final SG should be ~1.020 and the ABV will be 14%.

Pretty impressive alcohol tolerance for bread yeast!

Dean, I would go ahead and add the remaining honey and make a starter with the same yeast (maybe throw in some nutrient) and see how it goes. If it works wellit will be more great knowledge to share on restartingthis meadwith bread yeast.

If it doesn't restart you could always select another yeast with the same alcohol tolerance such as Lalvin D-47 and restart with that.

Thanks and keep us informed

Masta posted: Calculator alsoconverted 4.3 cups = 1.68 lbs honey

As I indicated on the other discussion group, I found this info on the Sue Bee Honey website under FAQs:

Honey is sold by weight. In the United States, this means in pounds or avoirdupois ounces. Unfortunately, we also measure volume in units called fluid ounces. The units are not equal; in fact, 1 cup of honey (8 fluid ounces) weighs approximately 12 ounces (avoirdupois)-- in other words, the 12 ounce jar of honey that you purchase will fill one cup.

http://www.suebee.com/honey/honey_faq.asp#11

So, by this formula,4 cups equals 3 pounds, right?Hey, I'll admit I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to math but I just don't see how we're getting such inequalities in measurements.

Joe calls for 3.5 pounds of honey. Using the above calculations, 3.5 pounds equals 4.6 cups.

<H1></H1>

I understand your frustration as I ran into the problem with conversion from weight to volume last night when I was trying to figure this out. My numbers didn't didn't jive but I was tired from a long day so I gave up....but trust me I will figure this out and post the answers as to why it doesn't work.

I really hate not knowing why it does add up!!!!!

Mine has been in the bottle (i.e. bottled) since 9-22-05.

I opened up a beer bottle of it tonight.

I used less oranges and added a handful of blueberries instead of raisins. I like it. It's not such an overtone of orange rind as it was at bottling. I think if I wait even longer, it will get better. It seems smooth already, although I am not a mead-maker or drinker.

Minelacks a little bite. I've only drunk very sweet mead in Europe once, so I am not sure if it's the lack of raisins or what. The color is very light.

Alrighty, I thought I'd post a pic with and without flash of my one and only mead (see? the camera is now upstairs!):

With flash:

2005-11-17_184911_meadwithflash.jpg

And without a flash:

2005-11-17_184933_meadwithoutflash.jpg

Very clear, with a bit of dusting at the bottom of the bottle. I think I bottled too soon.
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif

Latest posts

Back