Joe M’s Orange Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishWineP

Reaction score
Finally got some pictures of it! Isn't it beautiful!
smiley4.gif

2005-11-10_191610_Orange_Mead_002.jpg

2005-11-10_191629_Orange_Mead_003.jpg

Looks really good PWP, i took the Oranges outt of mine today , They were looking kinda funkey, They have been in a month, It taste good too i used a dark honey just to try and see if it does ok , So for its good and starting to clear up

Good luck

Harry

PWP: That looks GREAT!
smiley32.gif

It looks like you did something I haven't seen anyone do yet. I have heard a lot of people say they took the oranges out due to looking funkey, same as Harry above. It appears that you left your orange in bigger chunks. And I'm wondering if that would make a difference? Less surface area?

I thought about that when I made mine and left several good size peices and put in the carboy (3 Gal.), but ya can't find them now..... but the smaller ones around the upper edges are looking a little wilted right now, not funkey, just wilted. I would be curious to see when they come out if thebigger chunks held up better.

Harry: Did you leave yours oranges peices bigger, or smaller wedges?

Jobe, I really tried to follow the directions in the recipe to a T. The recipe said to cut each orange into at least 8 pieces, and I did at least that. Just remember this is a3 gallon batch. (If I'm going to mess up the kitchen I'm going to make it worth my while!
smiley36.gif
) I just started this last weekend, so we'll give it time to get all funkly looking like everyone elses. I'll give it a few weeks and post another picture.

What I want to know is what the raisins look like when this is done. Should we consider chopping or grinding them in the future or should we just continue to see if we can actually follow directions?
smiley5.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

Looking good PWP
smiley32.gif

The raisins will look a little worse for wear than when they were added after the fermentation is complete
smiley36.gif
I'm still uncertain as to what purpose they achieve when added whole
smiley5.gif
I wouldn't think that the yeasties will be able to penetrate the skins and break them down...but as the recipe calls for them to be added whole there must (no pun intended) be a reason
smiley1.gif

"What I want to know is what the raisins look like when this is done. Should we consider chopping or grinding them in the future or should we just continue to see if we can actually follow directions? "

I can show you what cut up Raisins look like when it blowa and lands on the ceiling and Kitchen walls
smiley36.gif

Needless to say, My wife is very upset about it. But we have both been sick all week and haven't had the ambiton to clean it. I'll get some pictures first.

Oh no!
smiley19.gif
What a mess! I had added a little water and it was enough to kick the fermentation into high gear and it filled the air lock with must, but that was the worst of it. Hope there's no staining!

Jobe05

I sliced them and squeezed them into the carboy, I made me a long hook (stainless steel welding rod) to retrieve them , They were soft and came rite out i left the raisins in.

Harry

I just want to know how much trouble it is to get the oranges OUT of the carboy.

George...

If you read through all 15 pages of that thread I posted in the mead forum, it is covered in there. The slices will sink to the bottom just before it's done. After racking off of the punky fruit, they are soft enough to slide out of the mouth of the carboy.

We have a cork retriever that I got from George for Bert's birthday this year. He's thinking we can use THAT to pull anything that looks scary. But really,I am going to TRY TO FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS.
smiley9.gif
I don't make resolutions at the New Year, I make them throughout the year. It gives me hope that I'll succeed! Following a recipe is not my strong suit!
smiley5.gif

I had a sample yesterday. My goodness that is sweet! I'm looking forward to trying it again in a few weeks when some of the sweetness is gone. It's still cooking nicely, too.

PWP,

When it is done please post starting and finishing SG so we can get an idea of the alcohol tolerance of the bread yeast.

I don't really like the sweet stuff and my Orange Blossom Cyser finished up at 1.020 and I consider this a dessert mead.

Sorry, but I had to use a wine yeast. My bread yeast had croaked of old age. Guess I'll have to try another batch with fresh bread yeast!

That really looks super good to me PWP.
smiley32.gif
I am going to have to try me a batch as soon as I get a carboy free.

Wine yeast is better since others who have made this said it finishes very sweet.

I would be interested in the numbers anyway with specifics on yeast used and any other variations from the original recipe.

Thanks!
smiley4.gif

does any one know if there would be a way to re-start this with a higher alcohol tolerant yeast. It'll finish hotter but not as sweet......

I didn't do a SG reading on mine when I started it, being my first mead I didn't know you could. I figured with Honey I wouldn't get a reading because it was so thick and the directions didn't say anything about a starting SG.....

Back