January 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some of that franzia last year..dumped it down the sink, and refilled with dragon blood, for my pool parties...
worked great..
Now i just by the empty bags...
have a bunch now i will fill for friends this summer.

I bought some of that franzia last year..dumped it down the sink, and refilled with dragon blood, for my pool parties...
worked great..
Now i just by the empty bags...
have a bunch now i will fill for friends this summer.

That's funny! We've been using the bags for "drink soon" wines. Will be putting some Dragon Blood (my first batch and it doing AWEOME! )in a few in a few days.

Where do you buy empty bags?

James, I was eyeing those bags last month and wondering if I should grab some.

its a great way to bag dragon blood...no worry about oxidation, as wine is taken out the bag collapses, so no air.

http://www.emptywinebox.com/

Wow, after almost completing my order, the shipping was $17. and the order was only $21. Seriously, How can they charge $17 to ship 5 cardboard boxes and 8 bags? Now I'm bummed. I wanted to order some but I'm not paying that.

Wow, after almost completing my order, the shipping was $17. and the order was only $21. Seriously, How can they charge $17 to ship 5 cardboard boxes and 8 bags? Now I'm bummed. I wanted to order some but I'm not paying that.

$17 + $21 = $38. $38 buys a fair amount of Franzia. Just saying..... :i

Boo for you guys. They carry both the 'Wine to Go' and the '4 L bag & box wine' at our local LHBS. They're great for camping!

http://www.mywinesense.com/equipment/

I swear you Canadians are MUCH more sensible than us south-of-the-border types when it come so alcohol conveyances. Taxes on alcohol.... now that is a different story!

Onion Wine racked to secondary.
I was supposed to leave it a little longer but I got tired of messing with it, plus it was dry.

Onionwine1.jpg

That looks good. I wouldn't worry about racking too soon. I did the same thing and just HAD to get a top on it. Mine is chugging along and doing fine.

yea, thats about 7.50 a bag...not sure about shipping...figured she would look into it..but 7.50 a bag is not bad.

Lol, Lori - do I need to buy you a couple from up here and send them down? We even have stand alone bags with a spigot that don't require a box!

Wine-to-Go-Bag.jpg

Lori, I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but they will work in a pinch for a party, etc. I also have been using them to keep a gallon at a time in the fridge for easy access. I bought these at Big Lots for 5 bucks each, but later found them at Walmart for a few pennies less. The spigot rotates so you can squeeze these babies into the almost useless places in the fridge, like under the meat drawer etc. I also found that for parties I could put a cooler sideways, put a row of these into the cooler surrounded by frozen icepacks and they stayed cold quite well even in summer.

Hope this helps.

Pam in cinit

winejugs1.jpg

winejugs2.jpg

OK, update on my wine of the month. Margarita Mania batch 2

After a full 2 weeks in primary fermentation I was finally able to rack in to secondary. SG was 1.020 at racking. I don't know if it was the yeast being slower than others (QA23), the abnormally high SG I started with (1.125) the cooler temps, or a combo of all 3, but this was the longest ferment I've ever had.

As for the first batch of this stuff I made a couple months back I learned a few other important things. I had always read that it's important to add antioxidant to prevent color change when the wine is finished, so I added the prescribed 1/2 tsp per gallon. Remember, I like tart stuff and the original wine already tart by my standards After the antioxidant I freely admit it removed a skin layer from the inside of my mouth. No one could drink it, so I had to do something. I added Welches White grape with peach concentrate and some water til the PH was 3.11. Tasted great, so set it aside. A couple weeks later I tried it again and the wine had mellowed into something that actually tasted a lot more like wine. I actually like it better. I realize I cut the ABV by these additions, so I'm glad my batch 2 had been made with a high SG. That way when I eventually add the white grape concentrate the ABV will still be appropriate. I'm hoping down the road to finetune this recipe for easy remakes as this stuff if very tasty to me. I love Itialien Pinot Grigio, and this stuff is close enuf to make me one happy girl.

Pam in cinti

cintipam, i like that idea better then the bag..
i will get some of those this week...i got lots of db coming out of carboys next week.

Back