Jack Lalaine juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardy

Reaction score
I have often juiced fruits to drink. I have seen many references to different juicers (steam mostly, some presses) but wonder if I can't use my electric juicer... I did about 3lbs of apples today for the juice and I tested the sg it was 1.060. I love fresh juice so why not make a cider out of it? Is there any reason not to?

Also I saved all the pulp and put it in the freezer to save. I think next time im going to add some vitamin c or another antioxidant to keep the gorgeous pinkinsh hue the skins add.

Thoughts??

I think this is a great idea. A sure way of getting juice without adding excess water to the mix. I would add the pulp back in unless it has seeds in it. Freezing is a great way of preserving fruit, juice and or pulp until you are ready to use it. Good luck..

The fruit is added whole so usually the seeds are ground up with the rest of the skins/stems. I COULD cut out the seeds before and just use it all... I didn't know the seeds would make a difference.

Then theres the fact that the apple seeds contain a form of cyanide :)

Probably not enough that your body cant detoxify itself, but I find it kind of funny that this is normally done for health benefits, yet not removing the seeds is actually a very very very low dosage of poison .. The hard coating of the shell usually protects the body from the toxins within the seed, but seeing as you've pulverized it completely...

Besides that, seeds in general usually bring a bitterness to 'the party' and are generally better off excluded

Then theres the fact that the apple seeds contain a form of cyanide :)

Probably not enough that your body cant detoxify itself, but I find it kind of funny that this is normally done for health benefits, yet not removing the seeds is actually a very very very low dosage of poison .. The hard coating of the shell usually protects the body from the toxins within the seed, but seeing as you've pulverized it completely...

Besides that, seeds in general usually bring a bitterness to 'the party' and are generally better off excluded

Thanks deezil! Ill be taking them out in the future. Now to search cider recipes!

But one thing to remember is that fresh pressed sweet cider is made by grinding the entire apple--skin, core, pips and stem. If you opt to not use the cores or the peels you will find there is not as much pectin in the juice, but if you freeze the peels/cores you can later use them to make jars of awesome homemade pectin & the jam/jelly makers that you know will really appreciate you. The cores/peels will also make a great jelly. Plus there are tannins in the seeds. You could easily make two exact recipes but one batch uses 'entire' fruit and another uses 'peeled & cored' fruit and then compare the final product.
Before steam or mechanical juicing/grinding, it helps if you allow the apples to cellar for at least two weeks so the skin will start to soften & you end up with much more flavor. And remember a ripe apple will have seeds which are dark black, not brown or brown-black, but solid dark black.

Before steam or mechanical juicing/grinding, it helps if you allow the apples to cellar for at least two weeks so the skin will start to soften & you end up with much more flavor.

Cellar? Like room temp... 65-75?

Latest posts

Back