I've had the best time!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I've been watching a pair of Downy woodpeckers for the last month or so. They come to the feeder, snag some sunflower seeds and will often fly up into the tree and "bury" the seeds in what's left of a broken branch. They hammer them in, make sure they're in place, and just drop about 15 feet without their wings to the branch that's just above the feeder. Then the process starts all over again. I'm guessing they are "planting " food for their future offspring to feed on and will lead them to the stash when they're ready. Who ever said birds don't lead interesting lives!

Here's Pops with his beautiful red head.

Dad.jpg

Mom

Mom.jpg

And Mom doing some afternoon planting...

seeds.jpg

They are fascinating creatures!

We have a big Red Headed Woodpecker outside our house on the same old dead branch every day. He is so cool but there cant be anything left of that branch as this has been going on for about 3 months now.

20090411_152852_P1000375_Small.JPG
I think Downys are fun to watch. I have been enjoying a nesting pair of Coopers Hawks who are building a nest about 100 feet from our house. They sure have made the other birds in our yard skittish. Here they are:

Great pictures everyone..thanks fo sharing and admiral, keep us posted on the hawks

The hawks are doing fine but the song bird population is reacting to the hawks like the ancient Britons to the Vikings. Visits to my feeders are way down. The hawks have established a dining room in a big walnut tree over my driveway and they are dropping their leftovers there for me to find. Beaks and bones and feathers every morning. My grandson thinks it is "cool."
Mama hawk is on the nest. Papa hawk is patrolling and terrorizingthe neighborhood.

I love to watch them!
smiley1.gif

Joan, thanks for the great pictures. They are great reminders that in this hectic everyday life that we live; God has created an entire world of beautiful things for us to enjoy if we just take a moment to stop and enjoy it.

nursejohn said:
Joan, thanks for the great pictures. They are great reminders that in this hectic everyday life that we live; God has created an entire world of beautiful things for us to enjoy if we just take a moment to stop and enjoy it.

Amen to that...

Hey Admiral!!

Mr. and Mrs. Downy are very busy eating and stashing sunflower seeds. I haven't seen as much of the Mrs. the last few days so I wonder if she's laid eggs. I have three rather old/perfect for woodpecker habitat maple trees. There are lots of holes in lots of limbs so I'm sure they have found a good nesting cavity. I need to locate it before the trees leaf or I will never know where it is! Mr. continues to make regular visits to the feeder.

The goldfinches have discovered free meals so a lot of them have been visiting. I put up a second feeder with thistle seed just for them but they seen to prefer the mixed stuff.

I will post some goldfinch photos.They are terribly sweet little things!

Here are some more visitors to the feeder.

Goldfinchpair.jpg

A pair of Goldfinches...

Goldfinchandpurplemartins.jpg

a Goldfinch and a pair of Purple Finches...NOT Martins...

Junco-1.jpg

I think Juncos are my favorites. They are just so chubby and cute!
smiley4.gif

Here's some of the birds we saw when we were in Texas for WineStock. They were nesting near the hotel. Thanks Trashy, for letting me know where to look!
"Go away! We're trying to sleep!"
20090419_172027_Budgie_nest.jpg

No, my name isn't Polly!

20090419_171755_Parakeet.jpg

No way! Everyone knows monk's don't have feathers! Who are you tryin' to kid?

Back