I've been lurking...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk4422

Reaction score
Great forum, I've been lurking for a while. I've enjoyed wine for many years but in the past 5 years my pallet has gotten really snobish and I couldn't enjoy a bottle of wine unless it was over the $10 mark. I was and still continue to enjoy wines in the $15 to $25 range. It gets expensive compared to beer:slp So i finally decided to make an investment and see if I can make some kit wines wines to be enjoyed in a few years - that would be suitable to my pallet.

BTW - I was just in Europe on busness and spent a weekend in Budapest. I must say the Hungarian Red wines are incredible. I have a thing for Hungarian oak...

Here is what I am starting with:
WE Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot with Grape Skins
WE Eclipse Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel with Grape Skins
WE Eclipse Washington Columbia Valley Riesling
Winexpert SI Italian Montepulciano
All of these above have been cleared and are now 4 to 6 weeks prior to bottling.

As soon a my carboys free up I have the following kits ready to go:
Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon with Grape Skins
Italian Piedmont Barolo Style with grape skins
WE Special Riesling Ice Wine

Kits on order
RJ Spagnols RQ 2014 Australia Shiraz Viognier
RJ Spagnols RQ 2014 Spain Monastrell Petit Verdot
Winexpert LE2013 Pacific Quartet

Equipment that I need to order: 300+ bottle wine storage cooler

Last edited:
Welcome Berk4422. Talk about jumping in with booth feet! You have been really busy.

I just finished a WE World vineyard. Sangiovese that I used Hungarian Oak cubes in. They are really special. So mellow and distinctive.
I have also been thinking about getting LE2013 Pacific Quartet. What drew you to that one?

Welcome Berk4422. Talk about jumping in with booth feet! You have been really busy.

I just finished a WE World vineyard. Sangiovese that I used Hungarian Oak cubes in. They are really special. So mellow and distinctive.
I have also been thinking about getting LE2013 Pacific Quartet. What drew you to that one?

Very nice on the Sangiovese, what level of toast were the cubes? I bet it will be outstanding!

The Pacific Quartet looks like it could have an outstanding potential of fruit character due to the 4 varietals, very intriguing. Being off-dry, it would make a great summer wine that can be paired up with some spicy shrimp - yum! Plus, I need at least one off-dry white wine in fridge.

Any recommendation on a buttery Chardonnay?

Last edited:
Hello, Adam and welcome to the forum. I am impressed with the choices you made for your first wines. I am of the belief (and I sense that I may be in the minority on the forum) that it is just as easy to make a top end kit as it is to make a lower end kit. I see that you have started with some of the best. Way to go!

Hello, Adam and welcome to the forum. I am impressed with the choices you made for your first wines. I am of the belief (and I sense that I may be in the minority on the forum) that it is just as easy to make a top end kit as it is to make a lower end kit. I see that you have started with some of the best. Way to go!

I agree Rocky. In fact , it may be slightly easier but less interesting to make a high-end kit, because with the lower-priced kits, I do more tweaking with tannins, raisins, water volume, etc. than I do with the all-juice and other high-end kits.

Good luck Adam! You should take chance on one of the lower-priced kits to see how they compare. I like some of my cheap kit wines just as much or more than the 'better' ones.

Hi berk4422,

Welcome to winemakingtalk and I hear ya on the Hungarian Oak, nothing better!

Thanks for the welcome all!!! I did lurk for a while to find out which kits would suit my taste. I do recognize that it will take a while for these wines to mature. I have followed the instructions to the letter which made it really straight forward. After I get these bottled and in storage, then I will start playing with some lower-end kits.

Now there is one thing I did that may have screwed up the Merlot. I'll start a thread on that one. Thanks again for the welcome!

That WE Montepulciano is a medium priced 15 ltr kit without grape pack . . . tweak away, I did. Its a great kit.

You have enough kits there to justify a Vidia Hungarian barrel. Hint hint.

That WE Montepulciano is a medium priced 15 ltr kit without grape pack . . . tweak away, I did. Its a great kit.

You have enough kits there to justify a Vidia Hungarian barrel. Hint hint.

Good hint! In a pinch, just added 3 oz Hungarian oak cubes to the Montepulciano. I'll give it a taste in a week or two.

Latest posts

Back