WineXpert Island Mist S.G.?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
This one has me scratching my noggin:

Have an Island Mist White Z summer wine kit. Initial S.G. was 1.052. Instructions says to check after 5 days and proceed to rack if S.G. is below 1.010. After 5 days the S.G. was 0.994. And I racked to the carboy. Only slight activity the first day thru the airlock and since then very, very, very slight activity. So, the instructions say to check after 10 days and proceed to stabalise if S.G. is 0.996 or less.

The S.G. was less than 0.996 (0.994) after 5 days at the initial racking. I'm sure the CO2 in the carboy with airlock will protect the wine (the 10th day will be April 6). But it appears to have fermented to dry in the first 5 days. Does anyone see anything unusual with the direction this wine is heading?
</font></font>
Edited by: stormbringer

I've had wines ferment dry in 5 days before. It could be a number of different things that make it go so fast. Temp, Yeast, starting S.G. ect... Wait another 3 days before stabilizing. Everything will be fine. Just remember, A lazy wine maker is a good wine maker. Patience my friend is the key to success.

oh and BTW how is moonglum? or the Von Beks?
smiley2.gif

Nothing unusual about that with the low alcohol kit. Like Angell WIne said, warmer temps, etc can speed things along at a good clip. Don't fret over it. Give it a few more days and move on to the next step. Don't rush degassing it. Take plenty of time stirring it with whatever degassing tool you have. Otherwise there will be a lot of trapped gas and it changes the flavor profile.

I have had this happen with higher gravity kits as well. I had an Amarone ferment to dry in4 days.One major part of this is the healthy yeast count and the temp of fermentation. If you get a packet of good, healthy, high cell countyeast and have the optimal fermentation temp for that strain you will have better (and faster)attenuation.

I didn't consider the low alcohol content the summer wine produces so the explanations are good. Think I'll let it sit for the prescribed amount of days in the carboy and then stabalize and fine. (I use a drill mounted stirrer; wouldn't make wine without it). The folks that make the kits know what makes them work and I always follow their directions to a "T".

Thanks again to all for the excellent advise.
smiley32.gif
</font></font>

Latest posts

Back