WineXpert Island mist racking question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
I am making the Green Apple Riesling Island Mist. I have followed the directions with the exception of adding some additional sugar. It has been clearing for almost 10 days. That's when they say it's ready to bottle. It has cleared a lot but it is still a little bit hazy towards the bottom. I know it need to clear some more. The instructions said not to rack before adding the finning agents. I didn't.

I'm not the best at racking yet. I usually mess up and move the the siphon at least once while doing it. This messes stuff up. I would like to rack it now to get the worst of the sediment out. I'm concerned about the instructions and how they said not to rack.

You must not be too concerned with the instructions since you already deviated from them by adding extra sugsr. Now is the time for your winemsking skills to be used and figure it out.. Does it look done? Does it test done? Does it taste done?

I just said it didn't look done. Most people on here seem to be adding sugar to these kits.

I'm concerned about the instructions and how they said not to rack.

I rack right before bottling. That way I can stop/start the flow without disturbing the sediment. You can always delay bottling - even for months. If your wine is still a little hazy: If there is sediment, then rack. In either case, it can't hurt to let it sit another month, and see if more settles.

freqflyer,
I let my Island mist kits clear for 20 days after fining. Then rack down to a 5 gallon carboy to bulk age for another 2 months. The rest is bottled (about 5 bottles) and marked as not bulk aged. Usually those five bottles are about as clear as the bulk aged, but not always.

When racking from the primary I take everything but the sludge. I do not rack again before fining.

Be sure you degas thoroughly, or you will likely have trouble clearing the wine.
Wine with a lot of CO2 may not clear properly.

After fining and topping up (if necessary) I would NOT rack in 10 days. After making a few kits you will find exactly what volume you need to start out with (based on the way you rack) to end up with a full carboy after fining and adding the F-pack. So no topping is needed.

Check out Tim's extended schedule for kits. 5-15-40-90. The last 50 days are bulk aging. That is what works best for me.
I also bring the temperature up to 75F for the last 2 days before fining (to help with degassing) and keep it above 72F for several days after to aid clearing.
On this forum you will learn many little things that will help you make better wine, beyond the instructions provided with the kit.

Good luck.
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Dave. You seem to understand what I want to do. Rack it now or in a little while. Then bulk age a bit. Then bottle.

My mist wine is having the same problem! It's a hard lemonade it was crystal clear then hazed over when I added the refining agents

I'm not having any problems with mine. I just have a question mine is clear. I racked it and I want to bulk age it for a little bit.

Should I add anything to it? I have some potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate? If so. Which one and how much? It's a 6 gallon batch.

freqflyer

I usually add a heaping 1/8 to a level 1/4 teaspoon of K-meta (Potassium Metabilsufate) when I rack to the 5 gallon carboy for 2 months of bulk aging.
I don't start drinking mine until it is 7 or 8 months old. So, I add additional k-meta to protect it, since I may not drink some of the bottles for a couple of years.

You can add 1/4 tsp of k-meta if you like. It won't hurt anything. 1/4 tsp of k-meta is pretty much the standard addition of k-meta for 6 gallons.
If you are going to drink it all before it gets to 6 months old you probably don't need additional k-meta.

You will not need additional Potassium Sorbate since it was put in when stabilizing. (it came with the Island Mist kit) It doesn't get used up or bound with Oxygen like k-meta. So, once is enough for the Sorbate.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave, Is there any harm in adding it if I'm going to drink or bottle it before 6 months? Any off flavors?

freqflyer

Sorry for the late reply. I hadn't checked the forum for a few days.

I've read that you may not want to add k-meta right before you bottle.
But, I have no personal experience with that, since I add when racking to a carboy for 2 months of bulk aging.
In doing it this way, I have not noticed any difference in taste even a couple of months after bottling. (5 month old wine.)
I have developed a rotation that lets most of my wines age to 6-8 months before I start to drink them.

So, to answer your question,- I don't think there would be any harm in adding k-meta to wine that you will drink within 6 months. But, there may also not be any benefit if you drink it that soon.

When I state the age of my wine I am counting from the day that I pitched the yeast.

Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back