Isinglass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer49

Engineer49
Reaction score
I recently began a Winexpert kit that came with isinglass. Two weeks after stabilizing, degassing and adding the isinglass, the top inch is brilliantly clear, but sediment clings to the sides of the carboy, and a light shows very die suspended particles. Is this normal? I'm used to Super Klear.

I recently began a Winexpert kit that came with isinglass. Two weeks after stabilizing, degassing and adding the isinglass, the top inch is brilliantly clear, but sediment clings to the sides of the carboy, and a light shows very die suspended particles. Is this normal? I'm used to Super Klear.

After two weeks, if you did a good job degassing and the temperature of the wine is in the 70'sF, it should be fairly clear by now.

Right after secondary finishes, WE has you stir up and rack over all the sediment. Did you take over all the sediment as the instructions indicated? If you severily limited the amount of sediment you took over, it may not ever clear completely. In that case, if you have some superKlear, I'd use it.

robie said:
After two weeks, if you did a good job degassing and the temperature of the wine is in the 70'sF, it should be fairly clear by now.

Right after secondary finishes, WE has you stir up and rack over all the sediment. Did you take over all the sediment as the instructions indicated? If you severily limited the amount of sediment you took over, it may not ever clear completely. In that case, if you have some superKlear, I'd use it.

Followed instructions to the letter. Stirred up sediment before adding the isinglass. I plan to rack to a better bottle, hoping the sediment clinging to the sides stays behind. Just wondered if this was typical of isinglass. I'm not in a hurry. After 25+ kits, and 30 or so other batches, this is an anomaly. Thanks

I've had this happen where the top several inches are super clear and you can see a line where it is cloudy below. I would make sure you have the gas out. I use a break bleeder kit to pump out 20-25 inches HG. The times this has happened to me it eventually clears. For me, wine kits have almost never cleared as quick as the instructions say, but in the end they have always cleared.

It is always possible you got a bad packet of clearing agent... not unheard of for sure.
The ridges in the Better Bottle do hold onto some of the sediment.

You might go ahead and rack it, then add the superKlear, which should do the trick. I am a big fan of superKlear.

Well, as if it knew I was talking about it, the wine cleared about halfway down overnight. Guess I'll give it a few more days before I rack it and use Super Klear. I hope it's listening. Thanks dot the replies.

Back