Is this normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, New to wine making!
Making my first batch from a YouTube recipe using juice. I started with an OG of 1.115 and only making a half gallon.
After 12 days I racked it into a carboy and took a reading, sg 1.05. As this is supposed to be a sweet wine and either racked at 7 days (ish), or not and racked at the end of fermentation. I checked the SG 2 days later and still 1.05. I still have activity on the surface and airlock bubbles every 1.5 minutes. Used redstar premier classique. Tasted good out of my plastic beaker thing 🙃 Any suggestions or thoughts? More time?
God Bless

Hello, New to wine making!
Making my first batch from a YouTube recipe using juice. I started with an OG of 1.115 and only making a half gallon.
After 12 days I racked it into a carboy and took a reading, sg 1.05. As this is supposed to be a sweet wine and either racked at 7 days (ish), or not and racked at the end of fermentation. I checked the SG 2 days later and still 1.05. I still have activity on the surface and airlock bubbles every 1.5 minutes. Used redstar premier classique. Tasted good out of my plastic beaker thing 🙃 Any suggestions or thoughts? More time?
God Bless
Did you finish at 1.005, or 1.050? If the first, your yeast probably petered out with high alcohol, leaving a little sugar behind, it’ll probably be tasty, but hot. If you’re at 1.050, you have a stuck fermentation with a lot of sugar left. Can you verify which?

Hi Dsmith - and welcome.
Johnd's question is right on the money, Dsmith. Gravity is a convention: the density of pure water is 1.000 and the density of any other liquid is measured against water. But note, the density of water is not 1.00 or 1. It is 1.000. So was the gravity (density) of the wine you measured 1.005 or 1.050? It wasn't 1. 05. That is not the gravity of anything.

Ok, easiest way for me to explain it on the hydrometer I have. The reading was in the range of a starting beer. So i assumed it is 1.050? I'll look when I get home. Is it stuck? Still bubbling on top of the liquid regularly. Could this just be trapped CO2 released?

Latest posts

Back