Is this harmful

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.
After my disastrous start to wine making I seem to be having some success. However, I am worried about the 8 gallons of wine that are now bubbling away. There is a horrible smell and I wondered if it was harmful to me as I spend a lot of time in my study with it while I write my novel. My wife told me I had an upset stomach and should lay off the scotch. I told her it was not me but her silly little Toy Poodle. That was a big mistake because she has taken it to the vet and I will have to pay the bill. Joking apart, can anybody tell me if I have, once again, increased my chances of being Deadfred.

Fermentations can be a bit smelly, but the odors aren't usually bad. It may be hydrogen sulfide, or rotten egg smell. What is the wine made from, what yeast did you use, and any additives would be helpful information to help you out.

Hello Grapeman,
It is a grape wine, Shiraz and Chardonnay home brew kits. The yeast came with the kit.

But does it smell yeastie or does it smell of sulfur, like rotten eggs?

I don't know how to describe a normal fermentation smell. Actually, I kind of enjoy the smell of fermenting wine.. it sort of grows on you.

Latest posts

Back