Quantcast

Is this a good starter kit?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

smurfe

Reaction score
Not a bad price. About average. Midwest is a decent place to buy from. I have ordered a few things from them. They are a fairly popular home brew supply house.

cpfan

Reaction score
I guess I'm turned off this set by the comment "Double Lever Corker (This upgraded corking device makes the corking process easier)".

It's a hand corker. IMO, that is not an upgraded corker. If you can afford it get a floor corker.

Steve

Sacalait

Reaction score
I agree with CPFAN, get a floor corker there's no comparison.

cpfan

Reaction score
Had a little extra time to look at this equipment kit. Noticed a couple of other items about it.

1) I don't know what 'Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser' is. If it truly is a cleanser, there is no sanitizer in this kit.

2) There is a hydrometer, but no hydrometer tube to hold it while you take a reading. Probably not important when in primary, but necessary (IMO) from a carboy.

3) I'm not a fan of 7.5 US Gallon primaries with air locks. It's a personal preference thing, and many other people prefer this kind of primary.

Steve

FentonCellars

Reaction score
I agree with cpfan's comments on the primary. I would look at a bit more expensive kit that comes with a glass primary. I use a glass primary and feel better, instead of it being a bucket.

again, it does come down to personal preference. You can always get this kit, add those missing items and upgrade the primary later with a glass one.

cpfan

Reaction score
Fenton:

What exactly are you using as a glass primary?

Steve

cpfan

Reaction score
Scubaman:

I can't comment on price; However, one picky item.

The 6 gallon glass carboys (both Italian & Mexican) that I have i my store take a #6 1/2 bung. The #6, especially when wet, can be pushed into the carboy fairly easily.

And I still don't like the 7.5 US gallon primary. Possibly not enough room for a grape skin pack, and definitly not enough room for a vigourous stir, at least not my kind of vigourous stir.

Steve

cpfan

Reaction score
YES I have kits, but ...

1) the store is not near you
2) we don't do mail order
3) the store is closing this month

Steve

scubaman2151

Reaction score
do you have any 6 1/2 bungs that you would be willing to put in the mail if I paypal you?

cpfan

Reaction score
do you have any 6 1/2 bungs that you would be willing to put in the mail if I paypal you?
Yes, I could do that. But if you are orderingthat starter kit anyway, they should be able to add a bung to the order. BTW the bung costs $1 Cdn. Shipping will be a bunch more.

Steve

Latest posts