Is there anyone in Michigan growing these

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris889671

Reaction score
Im looking for some input on Merlot, Zinfandel and Pinot Nior red. these are the vines I want to grow but they are not for my zone. has anyone in michigan grow these with success? Im ordering in a week or two and need to decide.

I'm not from Michigan, but if your zone is too cold for these, you would do best to stay away from them unless you want a TON of extra work!

if i recall....there is a fellow named Ivan from this board and another that has successfully handled pinot noir by laying them down each winter and muching and then re trellising each yr...he is from Minnesota

Chris,
Here is a link that may help you:
http://uspest.org/GL/
Just one of the things to think about.
I use 50 degree lower threshold and april 1 start.
Degree day requirements for different varieties can be hard to find, but it is one of the things you should consider in your selection. BTW, Pinot Noir has one of the lowest degree day requirements (probably why it was used in developing Marquette).

Outside of talking to a vineyard manager in one of Michigan's AVA's, I would contact the MSU Research Station in TC @ (231) 946-1510.

I myself grow King of the North, Valiant, and Frontenac Gris, all cold hardy varietals.

Latest posts

Back