Is there a reason not to use the faucet instead of siphoning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead

Junior
Reaction score
Seems like you stir up more sediment by siphoning than if you use the faucet that is located off the bottom of the bucket.

not sure what you mean..i think you mean you have a shutoff on the bottom of your bucket, etc...
i never get sediment in my racking cane..took some practice, but now its second nature.

No problem using the tap. If the hole is higher than the sediments in your container, go ahead and do that.

Yea ,its a good 2 inches off the bottom of the bucket . still fairly new to this and wanted some feedback THANKS!

I used the auto siphon for a number of years. These days I use a straight hose and nothing else. I have learned how to manipulate the end of the hose and tilt the carboy to get right down to the gross lees and suck up almost nothing. Practice makes perfect as they say. :try

Yes , i tried the faucet not a good idea . Siphon with a hose alot better . Wine making is a live and learn all the time!

Yes , i tried the faucet not a good idea . Siphon with a hose alot better . Wine making is a live and learn all the time!

I don't think racking using the spigot in a bottling bucket is a bad idea but it will leave a large amount of usable liquid behind. Siphoning potentially allows you to transfer more of the liquid.

Back