Is there a huge difference between kit levels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a big difference between the $38, $68, $108 and the $158 kits?

I expect some differences, but I need some subjective input here.

I love a good (that means something different to everyone for sure) Cab - I like Stag's Leap Artemis, but at $48/bottle, I only buy one a year - and drink Yellow Tail Cab everyday about 8 bucks.

Now, I just made this WE Selection Intl French Cab - and I like it green, so I am on the right track, but will the $68 kit be a whole bunch less desirable?

Money is always an issue, but I don;t want to waste time and money on a stinker.
smiley1.gif

your input is appreciated! Brad Simmons

I only make the bigger kits for reds myself with the grape skins as I find all others to be thin IMO. I have had the pleasure of having a bottle of the Stags Leap and it was awesome. when you take the cost and divide it amongst tye 30 bottles you will make out of it its only $2 more dollars a bottle but the wine is 100% better IMO.
<t></t><table id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">3109 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cwse_red_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Napa Valley Stag'S Leap District Merlot

Harvested
from the highly regarded Stag's Leap District on the valley's east
bench, this Merlot is dry &amp; medium-bodied with a soft, supple,
fruity palate of plums &amp; red berries.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$142.99</td></tr></t></table>

You know, you are right. Now I am not a big Merlot fan - will this be as good as a cab?

Their Artemis is over the moon. Oaky, smoky, full - yum.

Also, what is the skin deal? Is this something I can do? Kit? link to info?

Much appreciated. Brad Simmons

I've found the cheaper kits will be ready faster. Sometimes thats a good thing. Nothing like having a bunch of carboys aging and nothing to drink. Once you get more into this hobby you will notice a big taste difference like what Wade said. Don't forget a $120 kit divided by 30 bottles is only $4 a bottle. Where can you get a good bottle of wine for $4.

Down the road you may want to try 100% juice.

Brad, to me there are two factors that can not be emphasized enough. Make sure you get the kit's degassed, a gassy kit changes the entire profile of the wine. And let them age, there is a huge difference in a 6 month wine and a two year old wine.

kylandsales.com said:
MJD, my local place I used to shop will have kits marked down.

Oh, ok. The cheapest kit I have found is $54.95. Island Mist.

Jeff D,

It says 2 minutes on the kit, but I use the paddle from George and a drill, change direction, again and again - and I still have bubbles 8 minutes later, so I stick the VacuVin on it as well, then re-drill it.

I am so glad you mentioned that, I thought I was overdoing it and would get cheese.

DeGass on!

Brad,

I'm going to echo Jeff D's comments on aging - time is an amazing thing when it's on your side. I have been steadily watching (and in some cases tasting) the first three kits that I made around April of 2007. Two were WinExpert Selection International kits and one was a Mosti Mondiale AllJuice kit. Comparing them against one another shortly after they were completed, I would have sided on the WE side, however the MM has far surpassed them as time was presented. The WE kits presented more of a 'kit taste,' although this too has faded with time. As they approach their 2-year birthdays, they have become very nice all around. Could I have consumed them in the first 6 months - sure. Am I glad that I didn't - absolutely.

On the subject of bang-for-buck of higher cost kits, I can offer the following. I have never made a kit that was a lower grade than Mosti Mondiale AllJuice or WinExpert Selection International, with my purchases in the last year moving 100% to Mosti Mondiale. Because of this, I cannot compare my experience to Vintner's Reserve, Island Mist, etc. My initial kit purchases were specifically selected with George's help to match best against the type of commercial wine that I enjoy to drink combined against my own personal belief that I'd rather have quality over quantity.

That being said, the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli kits have shined the brightest as kits, with the MM Masters behind that. They have impressed me with both aroma, flavor, and color intensity right off the bat. In my personal opinion, there is a definite correlation to the price of the kit compared to the 'yum factor' of the wine made.

Your own wallet and taste decisions will need to be your guide, but do not shy away from a higher end kit. Would you withhold a case of Yellowtail Cab from yourself and trade it for two bottles of Stag's Leap Artemis? If you answer yes, then a higher end kit may be worth the journey for you. Heck, you might end up with 30 bottles of great wine that you are forced to drink.
smiley20.gif

Call George - ask him about his higher end kits. He makes all of the kits he sells so he has intimate knowledge about his products and can help you figure out which one may work for you.

- Jim

There is a difference between the levels of kits but it all depends on your palette. You will not make a comparable to a$48.00 bottle of wine from a WE Stags Leap Merlot kit without really manipulating the kit and aging appropriately but you will make a very good bottle of wine compared to a Vintners Reserve Merlot kit. The white and blush wines I have found to be very good at the lower end level of kits.
Now many really enjoy the lower level red kits and the only way you will know is to get them and make them. I don't want to sway you away from trying them. I personally found them a bit on the thin side.

OK, here's a subjective Q, but I like a big, fat Cab - I am placing an order right now with George - what do you think I should try? about $150-160 kit budget?

Your input and experience is appreciated.

I was quite surprised with the flavor intensity of the Winexpert French Cab, although I would prefer to compare it to a Mosti Mondiale AllJuice Cab asI believe that the Mosti products are superior overall. Call up George tomorrow and ask his advice - he's made/tasted the different kits.
- Jim

Thank you! I was going to order an all-juice deal last night - I think your advice has put me over the edge.

I will call George and see what he says. Your link is great - I need to get on it!

Thanks again for the help.

Brad, Jim couldn't have said it better. Bottom line here, IMO, talk to George and I am sure he can help with your decision on the higher end kits, taste, and pocketbook costs.
smiley4.gif

Brad,

Please let me know what you and George come up with for your selected cabernet kit.

Uavwmn - Thanks, I just figured I'd keep a little online log of what I used with each kit along with tasting notes when available to help share a bit.

- Jim

OK I have tried the lower end kits mostly the Grand Cru RJS and for an early drinking wine I think they are great. I do also have some high end reds that are ageing.... but a man has to have wine to drink while time is marching!

Latest posts

Back