Is sanitizing of ok Cubes needed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsp

Reaction score
I have been reading many articles on the internet but all go down the path of different views.

I have also searched this forum also and can't see what the correct answer is.

Here are the following ways I have read to sanitize Oak either in cube form or chips.

1. Steam take flavor away?
2. Boil-- take flavor away?
3 Put in the oven-- for some amount of time over an undecided temp?
4 Some just use them as is out of the package.
5 Soak in a solution of So2/kmeta for 24 hours total submersion---- Absorb Kmeta/So2 flavor??
6 Soaking in a neutral spirit such as Vodka for 1 hour.

Then today on this forum I found the "Corkidor" it is a very interesting concept, does the liquid ratio of kmeta/So2 still need to be the same? 2 oz So2/kmeta to 1 gallon of water? How long do they need to sit in this closed environment? Can I use Brew Bucket with the solution in a bottle inside the bucket with a bubbler on top?

My wine kits I have made in the past just have me add the oak to the Primary fermentation bucket/carboy but this is also before the must/liquid even turns into wine. So this assuming the solution is already hit with So2/kmeta.

Now here is my situation, I have 2 6 gallon carboys filled with a Merlot that have been aging for a few months. I feel they can benefit from some Oak. I don't want to mess this up so any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've never santiized oak and never had a problem. I think as long as they are fresh and enclosed as received from the store they would be ok. If you are making your own that would be different.
Before I got barrels I only used what came in the kits ot packaged at the store.
But it looks like using a bucket would work if needed. That's how I sanitize my corks. In a closed bucket with Kmeta in the bottom.

I'll answer your last question first. There's a forum post on "When to oak" you should read. To paraphrase Rocky from that, chips and powder are for primary while cubes and spirals go in the carboy.

Sanitizing isn't necessary if you buy a sealed bag. However, a corkidor type approach wouldn't hurt, particularly at low alcohol levels.

Last edited:
If I did go the route of the Corkidor what are the specifics on it? What is the duration needed to be effective and is the solution a typical 2 ounce S02 to 1 gallon water?

Latest posts

Back