Is racking needed when bulk aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiccan_Lager

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been a busy few weeks and I haven't been dropping in here as often as I should, but the other night I sat there and was thinking:

My wine is where it should be interms of SG (.998) and it is as clear and clean as a whistle. It's been 2 months since my last rack and I was planning on racking again in April, but then I thought: is it necccesary?

I mean, there is no lees collecting on the bottom of the carboys and I have k-meta in there keeping things happy, so I don't see why I would have to change. I figure the less I touch it the better of? Am I right or wrong on this one?

I'm thinking the added value of one more additional racking would be the lower chance of sucking up sludge when you rack off to bottle. If it's off the gross amount of yeast already... shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm thinking the added value of one more additional racking would be the lower chance of sucking up sludge when you rack off to bottle. If it's off the gross amount of yeast already... shouldn't be too much of an issue.

That's what I was thinking. I don't see any trace of lees on the bottom so I didn't think a racking was needed.

awesome. That means I have nothing to do until at least november.

Thanks!

I believe its an issue of degree. You'll be adding k-meta and stirring it in will probably return sediment into solution. If the amount of sediment is sufficient to make this undesirable, rack before adding k-meta. Otherwise, don't bother.

Several times I have started bottling a clean, cleared carboy of wine, gotten down to the bottom and been surprised to find sediment.

I would rack it again when you planned; if you get no sediment, I would double the time to the next racking.

I should have added a racking prior to bottling is a good idea. You may not see the sediment, but it could be there. Always bottle from a clean carboy.

Let it sit on the fine lees because it helps with aging the wine. When you go to bottle, rack it into a clean carboy first.

There is only one answer----don't rack wines when it's not needed. Constant manipulation of young wines can lead to oxidation. Let them sit and age properly on their fine lees. Removing airlocks, thiefing, unnecessary rackings will subject the wine to potential oxidation.

But I wonder if there is really another assumption inside Wiccan's question. And that is "if you don't rack you don't you need to add more K-meta." But is that a reasonable assumption? I don't measure SO2 (I know I should) but I suspect that every three months or so of bulk aging I need to add more k-meta. Wiccan seems to be suggesting that the fact that k-meta was added means that unless you rack again there is enough free SO2 to inhibit oxidation. Is there?

Question after racking to secondary, how much lees can be allowed to build up before it should be racked again? What is the most lees you can leave to bulk age?

Once it is clear and no sediment that we can see we let bulk age 4 to 6 months before bottling. We don't mind a little sediment.

You could be right about his question. Free SO2 needs to be checked periodically, whether one racks or not.

All wines don't necessarily benefit from aging on fine lees. Although the type of wine and whether or not it was from kit were not mentioned, it is an easy assumption that the wine is from a kit. Until one has actually made a few kits it can be harder to realize that what works well for fruit wines doesn't always suite kit wines and visa-verse.

It is not at all unusual for a wine to continue to drop sediment for the first 6 to 12 months. Especially for reds, if a person doesn't rack just before bottling time, it is easy to believe that there is no sediment present because it can't easily be seen. Then when the wine level gets down toward the bottom, the person realizes the sediment is there and that much of it has already been bottled. And no, a little sediment in the bottle is not the end of the world.

Certainly there is no need to rack if there is no sediment present. Even a tiny bit of sediment is not really going to hurt anything except at bottling time. It is my belief that with kit wines, potential oxidation is not so much an issue as not fully degassing the wine. Many new wine makers bottle so soon (per kit instructions) that oxidation seldom becomes an issue. How many times on this forum do we read about wine getting oxidized, compared to wine ending up being gassy?

As long as SO2 levels are properly maintained, an extra racking will come closer to resulting in a less gassy wine than it will oxidation. If new wine makers, who can't test for free SO2 levels, follow the recommendation to add 1/8th teaspoon Kmeta about every 6 to 8 weeks, their wine will be protected.

Here's what I do:
Follow a racking schedule that with each racking, the time to the next racking is doubled or tripled until the wine is 12 months or older. With this schedule, if one racks and gets no sediment, it is likely no more sediment will fall out. However, unless you racked very recently, I would still rack just before bottling.

Sometimes late adjustments are made where tannins or something like Bioless is added to a wine that has already cleared. In such a case one can bank on sediment falling again for several months following that adjustment.

Here's an example of what I would do if I should bottle a kit wine six months after it was first started, which I seldom do. Rack after secondary is completed, degas and stabilize at the same time and add any clarifiers in the order given by the kit instructions. Rack again in 2 months; rack again at the six month mark, just before bottling.

Thank you, Robie. I don't have a bottling bucket so can I rack back to a pail add the kmeta at 6 months and then rack back to bottles from the primary?

Thank you, Robie. I don't have a bottling bucket so can I rack back to a pail add the kmeta at 6 months and then rack back to bottles from the primary?

Yes, sort of. Rack to the bucket, clean the carboy, rack back to the carboy, then add the Kmeta to the carboy and stir it without stirring in any oxygen. Do this a couple days before you intend to bottle, so the Kmeta will have had time to disperse evenly. Then bottle directly from the carboy.

I have the all in one pump so if I added the kmeta to the carboy would I even need to stir?

You could be right about his question. Free SO2 needs to be checked periodically, whether one racks or not.

All wines don't necessarily benefit from aging on fine lees. Although the type of wine and whether or not it was from kit were not mentioned, it is an easy assumption that the wine is from a kit. Until one has actually made a few kits it can be harder to realize that what works well for fruit wines doesn't always suite kit wines and visa-verse.

It is not at all unusual for a wine to continue to drop sediment for the first 6 to 12 months. Especially for reds, if a person doesn't rack just before bottling time, it is easy to believe that there is no sediment present because it can't easily be seen. Then when the wine level gets down toward the bottom, the person realizes the sediment is there and that much of it has already been bottled. And no, a little sediment in the bottle is not the end of the world.

Certainly there is no need to rack if there is no sediment present. Even a tiny bit of sediment is not really going to hurt anything except at bottling time. It is my belief that with kit wines, potential oxidation is not so much an issue as not fully degassing the wine. Many new wine makers bottle so soon (per kit instructions) that oxidation seldom becomes an issue. How many times on this forum do we read about wine getting oxidized, compared to wine ending up being gassy?

As long as SO2 levels are properly maintained, an extra racking will come closer to resulting in a less gassy wine than it will oxidation. If new wine makers, who can't test for free SO2 levels, follow the recommendation to add 1/8th teaspoon Kmeta about every 6 to 8 weeks, their wine will be protected.

Here's what I do:
Follow a racking schedule that with each racking, the time to the next racking is doubled or tripled until the wine is 12 months or older. With this schedule, if one racks and gets no sediment, it is likely no more sediment will fall out. However, unless you racked very recently, I would still rack just before bottling.

Sometimes late adjustments are made where tannins or something like Bioless is added to a wine that has already cleared. In such a case one can bank on sediment falling again for several months following that adjustment.

Here's an example of what I would do if I should bottle a kit wine six months after it was first started, which I seldom do. Rack after secondary is completed, degas and stabilize at the same time and add any clarifiers in the order given by the kit instructions. Rack again in 2 months; rack again at the six month mark, just before bottling.

Hey Robie,

actually this is not from a kit. It was from pales. Got some blends of zinfandel, petite sirah and a straight up pinot grigio hangin out down stairs.

The real reason to the question was about the k-meta. If I rack, all that expsosure and moving it around lets off some of the k-meta so I would need to add more. Furthermore, racking means I have to clean carboys. I hate cleaning.

This is an afterthought however:

I didn't plan on adding k-meta while bulk aging because I figured if wine can stay aging in a bottle (without getting additional k-meta) then why should aging in a air locked carboy be any different.

Please, however, tell me if that's a wrong approach. If I need to adfd k meta every 2 months while in a carboy I would be more than happy to.

Oh and while I have your attention. how do you go about testing SO2? I have never done that before.

I can see where a light dust at the bottom is OK. But technically, how much lees is too much? 1"?? 2"??

Latest posts

Back