Is my wine young or oxidized????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryptonitewine

Reaction score
I started a batch of wine expert coastal red in march. As it was bulk aging the bung came off for a few days (I think about three total). I bottled last night and snuck a sample. I'm not sure how to describe it but it tastes "flat" as in no pizazz. What's the difference in taste between a young wine and an oxidized wine? I'll drink this but I sure wont share it. Bummer.

Offhand I would say neither. My batch of Coastal Red turned out just a tad too dry for the fruit flavors to show through; final gravity was 0.993. Backsweetening may be your solution as well. Three to four drops of simple syrup per bottle worked well for me.

By the sound of things, I doubt that your wine is oxidized. This usually has a floral or metalic taste and odor.

If it is flat, then I agree with the others that you should check your PH.

You can get by with just a simple acid test kit. This does not measure PH, but measures the weight of the acid in your wine. An acid (TA) kit should run you about $7 or $8. Easy to use, just follow the instructions.

You should soot for an acid TA of between .6 and .7 for red wine, and .65 and .75 for white wine.

If anything, your acid is low. To increase the acid content, use tartaric acid.

Last edited:
Back