Is my wine ready?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakundig

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, so I followed all instructions. I have just completed the "clearing" phase and it is on to the bottling phase.

Now, I don't know if this is correct or not (but I saw it in movies) so I used my wine thief to get a small dab of wine in a glass.

The wine still smells a lot like the must. Very strong.

The wine has a carbonated feel on the palate.

Can't say whether or not the taste is good because of the smell and the carbonation.

So, it is just because the wine needs more time? Have the movies lied to me? Can I not taste it (not drink it) right now to get an idea of what it will be in the end or do I have to bottle it and just let it sit for a few weeks or months?

First timer here, so go easy.

Rakundig

Rakundig,
Remember, ask as many questions as you can, we all were first timers and most of us are very happy to help.
What kit did you make, manufacturer and type?
The fact that it has some carbonation in it tells me that it either hasn't fermented to dry, or it needs to be degassed.
Did you get a starting and ending Gravity reading with a hydrometer?
A lot of kits will claim "ready in 4-6 weeks", in reality, they need to be aged 6-12 months.
You can drink it whenever you choose to, but you won't experience the full potential of the wine after just a few weeks.
as far as the movies are concerned, Hollywood loves to fill movies with a lot of false facts...LOL!

Tom

Sounds like it needs to be degassed more. You have a few choices. Warm it up some and stir it. Get a drill based stirrer (go back and forth every few seconds with it). Wait for the gas to come out naturally. My vote, but I have plenty of my own wine in the basement to drink, is key time do it's thing. It takes about 2-3 months at a minimum.

can't remember the manufacturer and it didn't have a sticker like the video that came with it; go figure.

I did get the gravity it was (on 12/28/13) 1080. Before clearing it was 996 which is the upper limit of the instructions.

I have degassed it a few times with a drill and a wand. Did a LOT of degassing before the clearing agents were added. Quite bubbly. Seems like it needs more.

I was thinking of racking again (also to help clear sediments which have filled up 1/2 of the bottom and parts of the sides of the carboy); but I don't know if now would be a bad time.

According to my instructions I should bottle now; but with carbonation I am not so sure. I am not trying to make champagne.

No, don't bottle now; as you suspect, you need to get that gas out first.

What temperature is it? The gas comes out a lot more easily at 75 F than at 65 F.

If the FG is .996 then it is fermented dry, it needs to degass, I second the "let time do it's thing".

As a beginner who does not own a vacuum pump, I have a lot more trouble degassing. I do Best if I degas now, let it sit in a Carboy and let time degas then degas again just prior to bottling. A white Will be ready to drink quicker than a red btw!

When you read 4,5,6 or 8 week kit that means to bottling. With the kits I've done I generally see instructions recommended 2-3 months bottle aging before consumption.

Back