Is my wine bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakundig

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here.

I have been making a batch of wine since Dec. A Tempranillo. When I initially poured the must I noticed it had a very strong smell. I assume that is what must smells like because I have never made wine before.

I have gone through all the instructions and I have let it stay in the carboy a few extra weeks to ensure it is done fermenting (it has been very cold and I think that slowed things down).

I used the wine thief to grab a snort of it the other day and I noticed that the smell is still there somewhat. It is a stronger smell than I would expect and stronger than the tempranillos I have bought from the store before. It is still a bit "bubbly" so I think some fermenting has to continue a bit more; however, my question is this.

I received this as a Christmas present and I so yesterday I asked my wife how long she had it before I received it and it appears she had the must for almost 2 months. Could the must be bad? Did I make a bad batch because it spoiled?

Thanks

It was a kit. It came in a large sealed plastic bladder.

Hmmmm. Not sure that it is rotten eggs or burnt rubber. I will re-check with those in mind.

Ok, I wouldn't exactly call it "burnt rubber" but I think I could see why someone would say that. So, I suppose it is "burnt rubber-ish" smelling.

I do know that when I poured the must into the fermenter that I was amazed at how strong the smell was. I just figured that is what must must smell like.

A kit has a much, much longer shelf life than two months. I suspect that it is just young, and you are not used to smelling a young wine. (Just a suspicion, mind you.) I would stay the course, and just follow the directions and let it age.

I have found the smell of Tempranillo is a little funky so to speak on it's own. As Paul said, kits have a very good shelf life. How's the taste? I'm sure age will mellow out the smell and the flavors will come through

Thanks. I have also found tempranillo to have an odd smell. It does smell tempranillo-ish, but stronger. Personally I would have bought something else but this was my wife's gift to me since I love wine and she knows little about it. Still, a great gift.

I have tasted it and it tastes ok. It has no legs though. Swirling just makes it look like water on the side of the glass. Now I know that there are those that say legs don't matter but I have normally found that the wines I like do have decent legs.

There is still a slight "carbonation" to it, but as I said I believe this is because it has been so cold here that it hasn't completed fermentation. I have moved it closer to my heater to help keep it up but my Nest thermostats turn the basement down to 65 degrees at night and it is in the far, unfinished section so it is probably a few degrees colder. The heater is in there but it is pretty chill. So, I am sure this has delayed things.

I am going to let it sit in the carboy a while longer. I may even buy another carboy for my next batch and leave this one in the current carboy. I have heard some folks let it sit in the carboy for months. Or I could bottle it I suppose. Not sure.

I have tasted it and it tastes ok. It has no legs though. Swirling just makes it look like water on the side of the glass.

Now we need to ask what kind of a kit it was. Low-end kits (with few dissolved solids) do tend to be thin.

There is still a slight "carbonation" to it, but as I said I believe this is because it has been so cold here that it hasn't completed fermentation.

Could still be fermenting, but even if it is done, it still needs to be degassed. It is MUCH easier to degas when the wine is warm, like 75 F.

I am going to let it sit in the carboy a while longer. I may even buy another carboy for my next batch and leave this one in the current carboy. I have heard some folks let it sit in the carboy for months. Or I could bottle it I suppose. Not sure.

Yes, buy another carboy and let this one sit for a few months! You won't regret it.

what's the SG on it right now? On basic instructions they have you degas and use a clearing agent. Have you done this?

Rakundig,

It sounds like you might have sulfur issues. Lets confirm it..

Draw a two samples, say 100ml each into two wine glasses and bring them up to about 65 or 70 degrees (F) min temperature.

Cover one of the with plastic wrap. This is your control sample.

Scour a couple of copper pennies till they shine bright. Rinse them and toss them into your other wine sample. Stir this sample and let sit for about 2 or 3 minutes.

Compare the two samples in smell and taste. If the one with copper is noticeably improved, then you have sulfur issues. Post your results and (if sulfur issues) we can advise how to fix your wine.

I will pull the SG this weekend. I did degass a couple times and added clearing agents as directed.

I will also try the sulfur test. Thanks for the advice.

I will let you know how it goes.

sorry for my late reply; I didn't pull SG yet, but I did try the pennies. The smell is slightly improved. Still there but better.

It isn't quite "bad egg" smell. I read someone describing the smell of Tempranillo as a "leather". I can smell that, but I also smell something else. Like I said, not quite a bad egg smell, but not pleasant either. The penny seems to have helped a bit.

I also noted that even though it was a small amount that I "tested" (drank). I drank them both anyhow. My wife noted my breath was bad the following day. So I agree, it is a sulfur issue.

I have had this issue before. The recommendations from this forum was to splash rack or buy a Copper pipe, sterilize it and then stir the wine for about 10 or 15 mins with the pipe. Let sit overnight and see if the smell is there next day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

I have had this issue before. The recommendations from this forum was to splash rack or buy a Copper pipe, sterilize it and then stir the wine for about 10 or 15 mins with the pipe. Let sit overnight and see if the smell is there next day.

I would urge folks to NOT use copper pipes or copper mesh for treating wine. You have no way to control the amount of copper that dissolves into your wine. Copper can be toxic. It is best to use copper sulfate or Reduless from Lallemand to treat your wine with the absolute minimum dose of copper.

I purchased a copper funnel and planned to rack it through the funnel.

GreginND: how would racking it through copper be toxic? All the pipes in my house are copper. I read about using copper sulfate and there are all kinds of warnings regarding how and when and how much copper sulfate to use and I believe how to then attempt to neutralize it or something.

For the test I just cleaned a penny real good and sat it in a glass of wine; let it sit for a while and drank it with the penny in there. Didn't seem to cause any harm.

Not trying to be snarky. I am just curious.

Ok. I did not rack it through the copper and I left it in the carboy since my last message. I just stole a bit of wine and the smell is reduced, while still present, and the taste and feel is better.

I am going to bottle it this weekend. I don't think it can stay in the carboy any longer as my little smell/taste tests have dropped the level in the carboy down a few inches. Fermentation is basically nil so that won't fill up with CO2 easily so I feel bottles are better.

Perhaps in 6mo - 1 yr it will be time to pop one open.

Thanks for the help everyone!

rakundig,

I try to never bottle a wine hoping it will improve. I know a lot of winemakers that end up "de-bottling" their wine (opening each bottle and pouring back into the carboy) for additional treatment.

A good rule of thumb should be to "only bottle when good".

Before you bottle, may I suggest that you try a product called reduless? This is a great product that you may find will work wonders in your situation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back