Is my MLF stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I finished primary 10 days ago. I added my MLF and Nutrient. This morning I don't see any bubbles at all coming up. I did a few spins of the carboy but am concerned that it is stuck. I may have a bit too much head space on it. Should I attempt to add MLF again?
Thanks,

During MLF, it can sometimes appear that nothing is happening. Stir gently once a week. And get it topped up. This is a vulnerable time, with no sulfite for protection. You can always do a chromatography test to see if its done. But after only 10 days, I'd say that isn't likely. What are your temps?

temps have consistently been around 70. So I dont think that is a problem. I was going to the store now to get some MLB or OPti to be safe. this is a wine from a juice bucket. Also I did do a Accuvin test this past weekend. The Zin was at 75 and the Cab at 110. So they weren't finished. I even turned the lights off and shined a light into the wine and couldn't see any bubbles.

Last edited:
MLF will happen with no visible signs. The only ways to know if it's done are to test. It can take a month, 6 weeks, three months, maybe more. Adding nutrients can help it along.

I started my MLF on my Syrah on day 2 of primary fermentation. After I pressed and transferred into my carboys I could see the bubbles from the C02 and MLF happening. 2 days later I racked off the gross lees and now I do not see any signs of MLF happening. I was wondering the same thing as you, but I'm sure it is moving along nicely.

I started my MLF on my Syrah on day 2 of primary fermentation. After I pressed and transferred into my carboys I could see the bubbles from the C02 and MLF happening. 2 days later I racked off the gross lees and now I do not see any signs of MLF happening. I was wondering the same thing as you, but I'm sure it is moving along nicely.

You saw bubbles, of that I have little doubt. You don't know if they were from CO2 or MLF. My guess is CO2, MLF often has very, very, very little activity. I have had to turn off all the lights and shine a very bright light on my wine to see anything. I have had some that never showed any activity, but finished much faster than those that had many bubbles.

Last edited:
I am currently putting my fall CA cab sav. through mlf (from grapes + juice) and a good indicator for me has been the tiny bubbles that rise to the top of the carboy almost look like little comets. However, as odd as that sounds, that last few wines I put through mlf, when those bubbles slowed and stopped, i did a chromatography test and mlf was just about wrapped up. That's the only unscientific visual I use before actually testing for mlf progress/completion.

Latest posts

Back