Is it safe to leave fresh pressed wine in a Brute container

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be safe to leave my wine in 30 gallon Brutes half full, with co2 layered in them. Hopefully mlf has started and it would be easier to stir in the big container for a few days at least before racking into carboys. I have a co2 tank and can sparge every time I take the lid off.

That CO2 isn't really layered in there. It might be for a very short period of time, think seconds. But after that it all mixes. It isn't something I would do. You are much better off racking to carboys, let the gross less fall out, usually 3 days, start mlf in your carboys topped off properly.

Last edited:
I would move them to glass ASAP. Especially if the wine is almost fermented to dry. The CO2 is minimal at this point and the head space is maximal in the Brute.

If I was trying this I would look for a food grade bag and “float” the bag on top of the wine AKA like a floating lid. For floating stability of the bag I would add about a centimeter (1/2”) of oak cubes to the bag to produce a uniform flat. It would be neat if you had a heat sealer and could make a round “shower cap” out of builders visqueen or 10 mil Menards vinyl. ,,, maybe tape a giant shower cap together?
,,,, maybe a food grade plastic wrapping a round of expanded polystyrene, after all one traditional storage in Italy for family wine is a crock with a floating wood lid.

Back