Introduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santosh_Rego

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Although I registered on this forum a month back I finally decided to get active here given that there is a wealth of knowledge to be explored.

Am from Bangalore in India and am new to wine making and have just made 2 batches of grape wine with reasonable success (read that as drinkable). My experiment on Jack fruit wine was a disaster and am looking forward to my passion fruit crop that will be ready in a month or two so that I can convert that into wine.

I look forward to interacting with all of you on this site.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum, Santosh. I did not know what jackfruit was so I investigated it. It looks like that would be a real challenge to make into wine. I am vaguely familiar with passion fruit and that also looks difficult. Is passion fruit wine something that is commonly made in India or are you just experimenting with different indigenous fruits?

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help make your wine making more successful.

Welcome to our forum. At this moment the best advice I can give you is to review your recipe with us before starting into it! Fruit wines can be tricky as far as knowing how much fruit to use per gallon as some fruits are weaker in flavor then others and some are much more acidic or not as others. Hope you enjoy your stay here and stick with us as we can all learn from 1 another!

Thanks to all you for your warm welcome. In India we are handicapped by lack of basic requirements such as wine yeast or any other supplements - we have to make do with baking yeast :D

Jack fruit was just an experiment and it really was destined to fail but no worries on that score. 99.9% of wine in India is from grape - as to Passion fruit, am growing them in my garden and found an authentic recipe from an Indian website called swapna's cuisine so will give it my best shot. Will keep you all updated on how that goes.

Cheers

An update from my end: Started a batch of Gooseberry wine thanks to my next door neighbor who has a tree. The yeast is working its magic and it smells really good. I am looking forward to the 3 weeks to end so that I can caramelize and bottle it, not forgetting of course to taste some of it. Will post some pictures of the finished product for sure.

Also my passion fruit vine has been fruiting and have collected about half a kilo of pulp which is carefully frozen. Once the crop ends, hope to have enough to make 3-4 liters of wine.

Till my next update. Cheers.

Santosh,

I have eaten enough jackfruit and made (just) enough country wines to believe that jackfruit can make good wine. I do not think that it is destined to fail. I suspect maybe you have not found a good recipe. The online recipes aren't good. I have run across a couple of Swapna wine recipes and they aren't very good either. They never check SG, never use sulfites, never use yeast nutrient, and they are never clear.

Jack Keller has a recipe for jackfruit wine from canned jackfruit which he claims is pretty good. If you can do it from canned fruit, you can do it better from fresh fruit.

If you post the recipe you used maybe we can take a look and see where it failed. It will help a lot if you can get some wine yeast.

I'd kill to get my hands on a few fresh jackfruit for winemaking.

Hello friends my name is David Jordan i am from Florida, USA and a new member of this informative community i hope all members are having great time here..

Hello. I'm new to winemaking but have 2 different batches of strawberry wine fermenting in the kitchen. Hope I can learn how to do this for a good glass of wine.

Hello. I'm new to winemaking but have 2 different batches of strawberry wine fermenting in the kitchen. Hope I can learn how to do this for a good glass of wine.

Welcome. Bet you can make a good glass; just stay with it and ask any questions you might have.

Thanks a ton stress for your valued comments and suggestions.

For the Jackfruit wine - there were 2 suggestions given for getting the base - one was to boil the jackfruit and use the solution (srilankan Recipe) and the other was to grind the fruit after boiling (Indian). Grinding is where I made my basic error since the resulting mush was destined for failure. When I get some fruit next, will not make the same error.

Given my penchant for trying out making wine at home, my son claims that I am absolutely crazy for doing all this and my wife cheerfully agrees.

Sadly wine yeast, yeast nutrients, sulfites, etc are just a dream but am exploring substitutes such as whole wheat, papaya peel, egg white, etc.

Will keep you updated on progress. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back