WineXpert Intro and a few questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James,

The SG range is stated this way due to the many kits in that group that are covered by the directions. Yes the SG has a direct relationship to the final ABV since most kits will end at the same SG so the higher the starting SG the more sugar was in the juice and more sugar = more alcohol.

Based on the latest ABV calculation posted by Joesph a while back your ABV shouldend upat ~10.56%

(1.074x1000=1074 -0.995x1000=995)/(7.75-3*((1074-995-7)/800))

A new Excel Spreadsheet Calculator has been added to this post under "Conversion Calculators" to simplify the calculations...just plug in your SG.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=152&PN=1

What was the temperature of the batch when you took the SG?

Those bubbles are great for the yeast since it is air (more importantly oxygen) incorporated in the batch. At this stage the yeast needs theoxygen to grow and multiply.

Edited by: masta

Did you adjust for that temp on your hydrometer reading. A hydrometer
is meant to be read at 60*. At 75 , you would 2 to your reading
bringing you a little over your lowest SG range at 1.076. I think you
actually add 2 @ 77* but close enough!

Does anyone have the calculation for adjusting SG for temperature? I would like to add this to the spreadsheet I made today.

50* - subtract .0005

60* no adjustment needed

70* - add .001

77* - add .002

84* - add .003

95* - add .005

105* - add .007

110* - add .008

113* - add .009

118* - add .010

Scott, I came across this in my travels. It is only for temperatures greater than 60 degrees F. The results are close to the table Wade provided above. Have fun!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

correction = 9.933E-7 * T^2 + 1.956E-6 * T - 4.065E-3

Thanks Joseph...I will see if I can get the formula added to the spread sheet I startedso you can enter SG and temp and get a true ABV.

Wade, where T = the temperature of the sample, the calculation would be:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

correction = 0.0000009933*T*T + 0.000001956*T - .004065

Scott, you will end up with a spreadsheet that implies more accuracy than our equipment is capable of delivering.

Okay that looks a little out of control! I want to make wine not adjust
the gravitational role for the Challenger to enter Earths orbit!
smiley36.gif

Masta.."Methinks thou thinketh too much"Like yon Cassius who sits in that little house away from the house and meditates.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back