WineXpert Intro and a few questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask a few questions.

I bought a wine making kit this weekend, and with it a Wine experts French Cab. Sav. kit. I have never made wine, but I have done beer for a few years before my ex-wife got all my equipment, as well as fishing gear and power tools.

Anyway, I got a nice kit with the fermentation bucket and carboy. My first question has to do with fermentation temperature. My kit instructions say temperature should be 65F-75F for primary fermentation. Now my kitchent ambient room temperature is about 72F. Is this going to be acceptable for primary fermentation? I am concerned that the fermentation process will raise the temperature of the must above 75F, and possibly kill off the yeasties before they are done.

What is the best method of measuring temperature in the plastic fermentation bucket? I am thinking I want to buy a floating thermometer and just leave it in the bucket and check it periodically.

If I see the must going above 75F, what is best thing to do. In my beer making days I used a fermentation chamber where I kept the temperature down via ice (think old fashioned ice box). The tempwas controlled with thermostat, and circulated cold air via an old PC fan. Does anybody use anything like this?

I plan to go ahead and start my first batch this weekend. I look forward any comments.

Welcome and we love extreme thinking!

There are a few ways to measure temperature and I personally would suggest buying a instant read dial thermometer like this one.

<DIV id=ViewerDiv>

It works well to check temps of batches and water when making up kits and since it is stainless steel it cleans well.

See this great tip from Waldo:
http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2610

A room temperature of 72 is perfect for your fermentation and there is no need to worry about the batch temp rising too high from active fermentation in the primary.

Not sure where you bought your fermenter but I would like to ask what size it is. You want a 7.9 gal primary fermenter.Edited by: masta

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to check your SG at starting....and check daily after a few days...usually the directions say to rack after 5-7 days or an SG at or below 1.010...you may get the 1.010 SG a day or so sooner with the little higher temps...As Masta said the temps. will be fine....OH and welcome to the form..

Welcome Exteme.

Masta's happy to have another extreme thinker on board. With only him and PeterZ doing anythinking at all, I'm sure it was getting lonely.
smiley36.gif

Hey E.T. - Wecome! Glad to have you aboard. I see you're from the land of Fine Vine Wines. Get ready for an addiction, er.. I mean great hobby!

Once the fermentation gets going it is more important to watch the SG and follow the directions on the kit. Its always nice to have a cellar.....Good luck and WELCOME to wine making!!
smiley32.gif

Welcome!!!!

You will find this to be a wonderful website!!! Goodluck, this hobby is very addicting!!! I am always trying to decide which kit to do next!!

Francie
smiley1.gif

masta said:
Not sure where you bought your fermenter but I would like to ask what size it is. You want a 7.9 gal primary fermenter.

I purchase the kit and everything at the FVW store in Carrollton TX.

Sorry James...I should have paid more attention and realized that.
smiley9.gif

George is the best and we have the same customer service here on the forum so you never will be without help whenever you need it.

Welcome Extreme, So you met George already, you lucky dog. PLease dont
be afraid to ask any questions here. I use the floating
Thermometer and there is also those little peel &amp; stick tape
thermometers also.

Edited by: wade

Welcome ET ......Pull up a fermenter and watch the bubbles in the airlock with us.

Hey E.T.
I am also a newbie. Started my first kit on 12/27. It should be ready to bottle in about 7 to 10 days. Pictures on my post "new wine maker with a question". That has turned into about 100 questions.Take plenty of pictures and post themunder your wine making topic. I love seeing the pictures everone post showing their efforts and results.All of the folkshere have offered great information and wonderful tips and I have found out that George is going to get tired of running my credit card!

I was and still am afraid to pop open the top of my primary bucket every day to check the temp etc but most of the folks here seem to do it without problems. I thought it was to stay a closed system until time for the next step but this seems to be incorrect. I used the stick onstrip to watch the temp of my wine in both the primary andbought another for my carboy. It seems to work fine but that is just my understanding, who knows whatis really going on inside.
Welcome to the information highway known as FVW forum. I am sure you will enjoy the tips and information as muchas I do.
DonEdited by: ScubaDon

In the primary the best thing you can do is give it oxygen, A lot of
people don't use lids, they just cover with a towel. I cannot do this as
I have a cat that goes in and out of my basement and Im afraid I'd
ferment him if I only put a towel on it!
smiley36.gif

Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome and all the suggestions. I believe I will go get a probe type thermometer and run it through the airlock hole.

One of the things I enjoy about fermentable hobbies is that there is no rushing. I have enough rushing in my life!

Welcome, ET. I appreciate your statement about having enough rushing in your life . . . you will find it is great therapy to sit and watch the air bubbles (like Waldo said) and listen to their little heart beats "thump-thump . . . thump-thump . . . thump-thump" Verrrry soothing. Be prepared - you'll understand soon enough.
smiley14.gif

ET welcome to the forum.

Scuba isn't your curiosity just killing you to pull the top and look at what's going on.....lol

Saturday I got my first kit into the primary.

There is a tutorial page here in the forum on concentrate kits that I found extremely helpful. I got all my equipment out and cleaned and sanitized it. Then I realized I didn't have any overalls to wear while I made the wine, so I had to make a run to Walmart to have the proper attire.

The first problem I encountered was with the bentonite. I added the bentonite to the small amount of water called for, then tried to stir with the drill attachment stirring implement. Not good, water sprayed everywhere. So I stirred up the bentonite with manually to avoid any further mess.

Everything else was uneventful. Once I had the concentrate and additional water into the primary bucket, I checked my SG. It was 1.074, where the range called for was 1.075-1.095. So I was a little light here, but I didn't think it was anything to get too excited about. Question: Is there a correlation between Initial SG and potential ABV? It would make sense to me that my SG was low with a French style cab.

After I stirred everything, there were bubbles all over the top of the must. I waited about an hour to see if the bubbles would clear before I pitched the yeast. They did not clear up, so I pitched on top of the bubbles. Within 6 hours I could see some yeast activity, and 48 hours later it was boiling like crazy. Everything is looking good!

I will keep you all posted as I continue.

James

Latest posts

Back