Into Second Fermentation...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I am one week in to my first kit- an Eclipse Zin. I am thinking tonight might be the rack to the secondary, and I wanted to double check a few things.

1) I do NOT stir things up, right? I am trying- I mean my purpose in the rack is to get the wine off the dead yeast, right? SO I should NOT stir it up, and probably should move the fermentor up to where I will rack a few hours before I anticipate racking. AM I right so far?

2) I need to take that bag of skins out BEFORE racking, right? How long before?

3) WHen I rack, I want to leave the dregs in the bottom of the fermetor, right?

4) My instructions say to let the second go fr two weeks. But I think you guys suggest longer. How long, and what signs do I look for to get to the next step (which is clarify, right?)

Thanks!
Dave

Hi Guys!

I am one week in to my first kit- an Eclipse Zin. I am thinking tonight might be the rack to the secondary, and I wanted to double check a few things.

1) I do NOT stir things up, right? I am trying- I mean my purpose in the rack is to get the wine off the dead yeast, right? SO I should NOT stir it up, and probably should move the fermentor up to where I will rack a few hours before I anticipate racking. AM I right so far?

4) My instructions say to let the second go fr two weeks. But I think you guys suggest longer. How long, and what signs do I look for to get to the next step (which is clarify, right?)

Thanks!
Dave

I just made this kit.

I racked mine the 1st time after 7 days in the fermenter. I remove the skins in the morning then usually rack it that night after work. Do not stir/disturb the last day before racking. You're correct when you saying you leave the dregs behind. I follow the kit instructions as written until the last step. I usually age/clear my wine in the carboy at least 6 months before bottling.

Hi Guys!

Thanks!
Dave

Dave,

The eclipse zin will be yummy when you are done!

I would check the specific gravity prior to racking to be sure you are at the target in the instructions. Not a big deal if you go lower, but you should not be higher.

Question 1, you are correct, do not stir. You will be racking the wine off the sediment. Letting things settle after moving the primary is good, although not a huge deal. When you rack, be sure to keep the cane above the sediment, holding it up a few inches so that you get less of the lees. Note that you will need a similar wine to fill up the carboy, as you will leave some volume behind in the primary.

Question 2, suggest squeezing the bag of skins with sanitized hands every day or so. Then you can pull it out just prior to racking and really squeeze the heck out of it, to get all the juice back in your primary. Some folks reuse the grapes in other batches. Contact with the skins is a good thing, so no need to rush this first step.

Question 3, yes, leave the dregs at the bottom.

Question 4, check the specific gravity to be sure fermentation is done. Give it at least the amount of time on the instructions.

Good luck,
Heather

Thanks you guys!

The wine fermented at the high end of recommended- 73-75... and one morning was at 77. SO I had no doubt it would be ready. I moved it into rack position and took off the skin bag.

Based on your responses- since I moved it upstairs for the rack, and since I pulled the skins... I am gonna rack tomorrow. Just let it rest.

My cheapest ingredient is time, so I will use it with gusto!

davek I think you may mean your sg is 0.998 not .098. That .098 reading is not possible on a standard hydrometer. No being picky here, but accuracy is important for us to help out. We can deduce nothing from that reading other than it can't be right. For the initial racking you don't need it to sit for a few hours after moving it. It isn't important at that point to make sure you don't stir anything up. In fact some kits want you to transfer part of the lees (not dregs) over to the secondary to make sure there is a bit in there to act as precipitation nucleii for the fining agents later (depends on the kit maker and their directions).

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Thanks- you are correct- .98. Just under one....We let it sit all night, and are about to rack it now.

But first, we are sterilizing...

Rack went well. I weas sort of a chicken when we got down to the dregs.... I pulled the siphon maybe a bit early.... about 1/2 inch from where the carboy starts to come in, and maybe 2 1/2 from where I would consider it full.

Leave it... or...

Add wine...

or Add water...

or...

we saved the dregs in two class bowls. We can wait for those to clear, and take the top good clearer wine from that.

What is the best option do you think?

Thanks!

Dave

I would save the dregs to clear and then add back in. You might want to put them into a jug/bottle(s) with an airlock. You wine in the carboy should be fine for a couple days

cheers

You should siphon anyrhing that fits through the tube on a kits first rack. Nothing to worry about in the 7 days or so that it has been in primary. Fruit wine, sure. There will be bits or rotting fruit to get your wine off, but not a kit.

OK, thanks. I was able to pull only a bit from the crud, so I just poured it in the secondary...

I am leaving it in the same room where I did primary- it was 72-75 degrees. Is that OK, or should I find a cooler room?

Also, is light an issue now that it is in a glass carboy? Should I shade the carboy?

Thanks, I appreciate all your help!

Let it finish where you have it. Needs to be at those temps for degasing.

i usually cover mine with and old sweatshirt

cheers

In secondary you want as little headspace as possible and you may not be able to get filled up with what you have left in those bowls. So to save yourself some time, it is easiest to go buy a like wine (not necessarily top shelf stuff) for topping up. Most purists here would nix the use of water.

Latest posts

Back