Interesting Gas Detector Observation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I worked on my wine-degassed, stirred, etc. While working with it my gas detector went off (a NightHawk CO2/Gas Detector). I have it just outside the basementroom in which I do my wine. I assumed it was a fluke-I changed the battery, reset the unit and it hasn't gone off since Until Sunday.
I was again bottling, stirring, transferring and degassing. Once again the gas detector went off. I resetand silenced it but out of caution I called our propane company.They came out to pressure test/sniff the system. Our gas lines all checked out and there is no evidence of septic/sewer gasses. No smells, nothing.

The only thing I can figure, since it happened both times while I was working with wine is that it somehow mistook a chemical in winemaking for an explosive gas. It's only happened when I'm stirring/degassing or doing something that you can really smell across the room.

Any thoughts? Possible?Or am I barking up the wrong tree? It would be a very strange coincidence if it just were a fluke and happened both times while I was working on wine, but I won't rule that out.

Thanks!

Mike,

Check your manual. I suspect the detector also detects CO2 (judging by the name). The reason would be to let you know if the furnace was not venting its combustion product to the outside.

The gas you are driving off the wine is CO2. You might just have driven off enough to trip the detector.

Pretty sensitive sensor you have there or mighty gassy wine, or maybe you just ate a lot of beans!
smiley36.gif

I assume it is a similar model to the one below. It is supposed to detect Cabon Monoxide(CO), not Carbon Dioxide(CO2), but the 2 are so close that it probably can't tell the difference. It is supposed to be one of the most accurate sensors on the market. Make sure you don't breathe too close to it.
smiley36.gif

<DIV id=DivProdDetDesc style="DISPLAY: block">Model KN-COEG-3 Carbon Monoxide Alarm
part # 900-0113 - AC Plug-in Operated

This combination alarm protects against two deadly threats, carbon monoxide and explosive gas such as propane and natural gas. The 900-0113 features a hide-a-way cord that allows for multiple installation possibilities.

<LI>Protection from two deadly threats
<LI>Digital Display
<LI>9V battery back up
<LI>Hide-a-way cord
<LI>Test/Reset Button
<LI>Loud 85dB Alarm
<LI>Low Battery Warning
<LI>Easy Installation
<LI>5 year limited warranty
<LI>Electrochemical sensor "The World's Most Accurate Sensor"</LI>

The display shows either CO or "GAS". It was barking about"GAS". The number was 285 if I remember correctly.
Like I say I can't think of any other reason why it went off other than I was working extensively with the wine both times (and that's the only time it has gone off).

I won't discount the idea that a change in diet or deodorant may be in order.
smiley9.gif

I just found it really weird and I don't blame you if you're think I'm a bit looney.

And yes, that alarm is loud. I about wet myself when it went off....both times.

Mike,

I am at a loss on this one. The 285 number would be methane concentration, but I don't know what units it would use.

Anaerobic (without air) digestion of organic matter by some bacteria produces methane, but I can't imagine that happening in wine with even rudimentary care over cleanliness. I further can't imagine it not having a very noticable effect on the wine.

The detector itself is probably extremely sensitive to methane (natural gas). The odor that is added to the gas, a combination of ethyl mercaptan (CH3-CHS) and n-butyl mercaptan (CH3-CH2-CH2-CHS), can be detected by the human nose in the single-digit parts per billion range. There is not much in the gas (I think it is a few hundredths of a percent), but you can still smell it before the level of the gas poses a hazard.

If the detector is more sensitive than the human nose, then the results of those bean burritos you had for lunch might be enough to set it off.
smiley11.gif

In the fire service we have a sniffer that detects gasses, but also goes off for lower levels of oxygen. Typically oxygen is about 21% of normal atmospheric air at sea level, however if you're in afairlysmalltightly sealed basement working hard on degassing your wine, you'll be consuming a significant amount of oxygen and replacing it with CO2. If the O2 levels fall below 17%, it may trip the alarm, but you would not feel much different. If it falls below 12%, then you'll probably begin to feel dizzy and uneasy.

Just a hunch, but easily tested.

GrapeApe.

Latest posts

Back