Infrared Thermometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahaas56

Reaction score
I brought home my Infrared Thermometer home from work, a little over second day of fermentation it registered 74.5F/75F. Airlock is bubbling really good. I'm guessing fermentation is going pretty well?

I didn't have a starting temp(just forgot to check it)

Do i have to worry about it getting to hot..House temp is around 69

The yeast I'm use is Premier Cuvee recommended temp was 72F-75F

~Kevin

Recommended temperature is a guide, but you'll obviously be fine a little lower. You may find fermentation takes a little longer. If you're concerned, try to move the wine to a warmer locale. By the way, you mention house temperature. If you don't have them already, get some stick-on thermometers for your primary and carboys.

Actually 2 stick-on thermometers came with my equipment kit, being a newbie at this I didn't know how accurate they would be. I have one on my fermentation bucket and it reads right on with my IF Thermometer.

Are you saying that fermentation take longer with a warmer temperature?

Temperature is not terribly critical unless it gets well into the 90'sF. That depends of course on the yeast strain you are using. If you are using cold fermentation yeast you would want to limit the high temperature. A few degrees either way mean very little. A stick on thermometer is all you really need.

The warmer the fermentation the quicker it finishes. Finishing quickly has no real advantage.

Just remember that a IR thermometer tells only the surface temp and is also dependant on the emissitivy of the surface. Smooth vs rough, frosted vs clear etc. A stick on only tells surface temp too. I'd rely on a floating or thermo well if you really care about the temp
Either way, as long as it stays "room temperature" it will be fine.

Remember to shoot the wine itself not the carboy with the IR. I use one all the time. It is also very handy in judging clarity. Turn the lights off and shhot the carboy.

Latest posts

Back