Airlock bubbling every 5 seconds!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephbain38

Reaction score
Hey all!!

New member here and started my very first batch of wine via wine kit. First day it didn't produce any bubbles at all... got a bit worried so sterilised my stirrer and gave it a wee stir. Next day it was bubbling like crazy! That was on Saturday... its now Wednesday and my airlock is still bubbling every 5 seconds. I'm really new to making wine, and have kept my house temp at 20c so it has kept its temp. Have I done something wrong for the airlock to still be bubbling every five seconds?

Any advice would help!

relax
Even if it has finished consuming sugar there will still be co2 released for some time. watch it for a couple more days and the bubbling will get slower

The only way to measure progress is with a hydrometer to check the specific gravity.

If you don't have one yet, get 2 so that when you inevitably break one, you will have one handy! (Yes, this is personal experience speaking. 😁)

I also recommend getting a wine thief to pull the sample to measure with the hydrometer. Make sure everything is sanitized each time you use it, and you can pour the sample back in after you are done measuring the specific gravity.

No you didn't do anything wrong.
Don't think about time or look at a calendar when making your wine.
Obvious signs of fermentation may take a couple hours or a day. The yeast are busy - acclimating to a new environment and reproducing among other things. And once they get going the fermentation can be done in a couple days or a couple weeks. They're a lot like cats - do what they want, when they want, they make the rules.

Sounds like you don't have a hydrometer. Inexpensive and one of the most useful wine making tools.

Don't get too worried. Enjoy the process and you'll do fine.
Good luck and welcome to WMT!

relax
Even if it has finished consuming sugar there will still be co2 released for some time. watch it for a couple more days and the bubbling will get slower
Thank u so much! I was worrying so I looked inside as the box tells u to leave a gap in the lid and bucket for o2 to escape but I used an airlock anyway regraè
The only way to measure progress is with a hydrometer to check the specific gravity.

If you don't have one yet, get 2 so that when you inevitably break one, you will have one handy! (Yes, this is personal experience speaking. 😁)

I also recommend getting a wine thief to pull the sample to measure with the hydrometer. Make sure everything is sanitized each time you use it, and you can pour the sample back in after you are done measuring the specific gravity.
I do have a hydrometer, I tend to be one of those people that when u do something, u need to have everything to go with ut
I agree with the above. Relax, and welcome to WMT
Thank you! 😊

welcome to Wine Making Talk

yeast don’t read the instructions so they just do what is natural for them. ,,, I have had 10C ferments run four weeks and 33C run three days. The yeast are happier at low temperatures and need more nutrients when hot/ fast.

Even though many kits give you a bucket with a lid and airlock, it’s not necessary for primary fermentation. A loose lid or even a towel to cover your bucket. Once SG drops to under 1.020 you can snap down that lid or transfer to carboy with your airlock.

yeast don’t read the instructions so they just do what is natural for them. ,,, I have had 10C ferments run four weeks and 33C run three days. The yeast are happier at low temperatures and need more nutrients when hot/ fast.
Thank you! 😊

Thank you! 😊

Latest posts

Back