Inert Gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Robusto

Reaction score
Does anyone use a inert gas to "top" your carboy?

You can do this with a opened bottle of wine to help preserve it and I was thinkingthat this could also be done with a carboy.

What do you think?

Does that mean you drink your wine by the carboy and need to gas it when 2/3 done after one sitting?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Seriously, no I don't gas it. I just top up with a like wine.

Mr. R,

The quantity of air in the 2" neck of the carboy, at ~20% O2, is insignificant for 6 gallons of wine. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

Mr Rob, I use inert gas on all my carboys. Some of my fruit wines do not fill my carboy to the 2 inch line and I do not like to top up with water. My fruit wines are 100% juice so adding water is a no no for me. As far a a like wine, well I guess it would be ok but using inert gas is much more simple. Many wineries I have visited use inert gas in ther tanks, I just uee it in a smaller scale. There is a product called Wine Preserver (George may carry this) which is a combination of Nitrogen(N2)Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and argon (Ar) it works by laying down a blanket of protective gas on the wines surfacei it blocks out the OxYGEN. Great stuff.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Like PeterZ said Use like wine to top up. so if you use half bottle to
top up start the party early and finish off the other half
would not be but 2 avg size glasses not a problem here. Or
make a generic white and red and use for topping up . PS even these
taste pretty good in time. I dont add any water to the kit from first
ferment. all my giveaways come back empty with a note saying any
more giveaways are not a problem.

I have been using 'Wine Preserve', the inert gas referred to by Bill, for almost a year now, with 100% positive results. I have found it infinitely more convenient to top with the inert gas and maintain total integrity of the wine in the carboy.

Argon is great, it's what I use primarily for long term storage - can't hurt. It also is great for laying down a blanket to help keep a bottle you've opened a little longer. I also use it to 'sparge' my bottles prior to bottling

Back