WineXpert increasing ABV in Island Mist kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbiss737

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for increasing the ABV in Island Mist kits. I have been using corn sugar on initial ferment but I'm thinking of using flavored vodka or schnapps or some other liquer. Any thoughts?

Don't use vodka, schnapps, etc. before fermenting or you won't get a ferment. All that alcohol will kill the yeast.
All you need to do is add plain sugar to the kit and get the SG where you want it.

I generally add enough simple syrup solution to bring the OG to about 1.060 on the mist kits. Much more than that and the wine gets out of balance and overpowered by the alcohol. Just my opinion though.

I add about 3 lbs of white sugar and about 25% of the f-pac to the fermentation. Without looking at my notes I believe the final ABV is around 10%. The Island Mist Peach Chardonnay is my kids favorite year round. Bakervinyard

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always leery of adding too much sugar on fermentation because of the potential for an off-balanced too alcoholic tasting wine. I never thought to use part of the f-pack. I may try that.

I'm glad I found this forum. I've been making wine for several years and have found a bunch of ideas from the forum that I have to try with future batches.

We always add 3 lbs of sugar before casting the yeast. It ups the ABV and seems to give it more body without throwing off the balance. We don't use any of the pack upfront. We add it all at the end but then we like sweet wine.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

On my mist wines I always bring the ABV up to 1.080-1.090. And sugar is what I use. I think other alcohol added as a fortifier (if that's what you meant) would change the taste too much.

Latest posts

Back